1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hitting on guys when you're not aware of their sexuality??! Advice/Experiences

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Pat, Aug 22, 2013.

1. Pat

Pat

So... I was at the gym today.. playing some basketball when this gorgeous guy walks in... loose fitting shorts, baggy in design, and a long sleeve shirt.. Seriously cute. Dirty blonde hair, blue eyes.. Anyways, so I spark up a short conversation, something along the lines of.. "Where's everybody at?!" (court's empty, just me and him) To which he responded, "I don't know, man! Do you want to play though?" I say yes, of course. So we're playing and I notice that.. he wants to back me down -- which is weird because I outweigh this kid by at least 100 pounds..6'3 245, he's like 6 ft 140.. (it's when the offensive player turns his back on the defender, trying to back the person down to score close to the basket, for those who don't know) And I just really had a hard time not getting an erection. Lol. He had the perfect body in my eyes (slim/slender..go figure) So of course I used the moment to be reeeeeeally close to him, and it repeated itself throughout where he would turn his back to me in this way.. (my junk is pretty much right on him) So we play for a bit and at the end we just exchanged names and he went on to rock climb at the gym. So! Onto the dilemma. I don't THINK he was gay.. You see, I have a terrible gaydar. Seemed pretty straight to me. Didn't really make much eye contact, generally seemed uninterested in me as a guy..and I watched him over with the rock climbing guys, same thing.. no eye contact really.. just doing his own thing. So I'm pretty sure the guy is straight. Question is.. I reeeeeally want to be able to tell a guy he's attractive :frowning2: In a way that's not going to be offensive, but just to acknowledge them. I mean, I know women love to hear that shit, even when it comes from another woman. I don't know how men feel about compliments in their day to day routines.. How do you stay completely neutral..yet, compliment a guy to let them know..I guess that you notice their attractive? Also, how do you just...engage people in a way that lets them know you're interested in friendship? The only way I know is when you see the person often, but I had never seen this guy before. Feel free to give advice and/or similar experiences where you regret not complimenting a gorgeous guy!

2. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Bud...it's nice you want to but I would just say don't. It can just be awkward. Just let it go. But I'll let others say what they want, they probably have better experience lol.

3. Hrantou

I mean, its awkward if they don't like it, but a guy can go hit on a girl or visa versa and if she doesn't like him then its the same kind of awkward.

The only thing about a guy hitting on a guy or a girl hitting on a girl is its still a little weird because it just doesn't happen a lot. I say do it if you want, just be cautious. I've done it before, and nothing bad has happened just its awkward and (for me) have been told no :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

They always ask me why and I always say "Because life is short and you are hot"

Just my 2c.

4. Hefiel

I've only seen the stereotypical way a straight guy comments on another straight guy's attractiveness by conflating his outward appearance with the ability to attract women. In other words "Man, I'm looking at you and I have to say, the women must be all over you. Got a girlfriend?". I admit, this is pretty silly, especially when they add "No homo" somewhere in that sentence, but I've seen it happen anyway. "Bro Talk" I hear it's called.

Sorry I can't be of more help. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

5. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You can phrase it simply as: do you date guys? Focusing on the action of dating guys rather than on his identity as straight or gay, which is far touchier...

worth a try, he may even be flattered...

6. Northern

Honestly the second you started talking about reboudning and what not I just blanked, I am that good at sports LOL

I think if you do say it to him, say it just casually, like if he's lifting weights you can be something along the likes of:

"Wow that is a lot of weight to lift, sure looks like it's working"

(That is why I will never be a writer) But you know what I am saying, you can say it generally and he won't get offended, but make sure it sounds more spontaneous of you, and pair it with something else, that way you don't end up blurting out "You're hot" randomly, because that is harder to explain, good luck! :slight_smile:

7. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Wait out the eye contact to see if it occurs.

If it's not reciprocated or you don't get a good vibe, don't pursue it. You should really be conversant before you get to the phase of complimenting.

Most gay and bi guys have no trouble complimenting or receiving compliments from other guys, unless they're selfish a-holes. Among straights, compliments generally come from friends on a good haircut you just got, and from complete strangers when you're sitting at the outlets and a guy says something like "Good taste, that's a nice tie, but you got to it before I did" as his wife or g.f. is standing next to him.

With me, I've gotten caught with my hand in the cookie jar by looking too long. One of my friends said that I periodically have done this together with getting more jittery in someone's presence. That combination tells someone very easily what I was thinking - that they were good looking. Whether they took it as a compliment was probably varied. Fortunately, it hasn't happened often. The last time it happened is when a guy in his early 40s, about 10 years older than me at the time, had a morning commute path that was the opposite of mine, so I'd always run into him. He had a wedding band that came and went. Definitely someone's husband and father. It was hard NOT to want to look at a dude like this, but without the cleft on the chin:

http://thesuitsofjamesbond.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/George-Lazenby.jpg

#7 Tightrope, Aug 22, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2013
  8. Pat

Pat

Haha, thanks for the responses, I feel that way often..like I should just leave it alone, that's probably the thing I dislike the most about being gay. I feel like it's limited to certain venues to express interest.. My gut tells me to NEVER compliment a guy if I don't know he's gay, but my best friends are straight guys and they don't feel awkward when I tell them they look good to try to build up their self esteem.

9. Diego89

Wow, I can totally relate to this, been there myself and its so frustrating!!! Wish I had some advice for you but am afraid I'm as lost as you.

10. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    OP, that sounds so bloody hot. Just my kind of guy, and especially because I'm familiar with the basketball move and it's basically a functional application of grinding on somebody XD.

Without ironclad proof though, you're better off keeping quiet. Your casual basketball friend might be creeped out and vanish in an instant. Homophobia ingrained in society -.-

11. myheartincheck

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Well if you hit on him and he's upset, you've ruled out the "interested in me" category. Hey you never know unless you try. Nothing to lose. xD

12. Pat

Pat

:stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: It was dude.. I really just wanted to grab him and literally spin him around and kiss him haha. And as thin as his shorts were.. I bet he could feel it :wink: haha. And yeah :/ I keep thinking that, it's too risky to do. There's another kid from the gym that was kind of giving vibes and we exchanged numbers, but he didn't seem all that interested in maintaining conversation with me, but when we play together we joke around a lot and seem to always be on each other in some way..

---------- Post added 23rd Aug 2013 at 08:14 AM ----------

:stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: That's where I've been leaning. I haven't seen the kid at the gym before, so I considered it heavily, but with no vibes from him really, I didn't have the balls to just tell him I thought he was attractive. I think I can find a playful way to tell him if we play again.. like, "the pretty boy is here" something like that haha. I have nooo idea. Much easier to hit on gay dudes. The problem with rejection in this case is that we're all at the same gym and my basketball reputation is far more important than flirting with someone on the court. Even if I tell someone I'm gay, I wouldn't want to make them feel uncomfortable or actually live up to what they THINK of us.. which is that we'll be hitting on them, that's another thing that keeps me from doing it. I'll try it one day dammit! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

13. Pat

Pat

Got his number today :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: lol.. I think he's straight though. Haven't asked yet!

14. The story is so cute! Please update along the way.

15. redneck

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I have only hit on a guy I wasn't sure was gay once. I used to live in a hotel. And all the residents would open our doors on the weekends so that people could pop in and visit (closed door ment you wanted to be left alone or you weren't home). I had my door open and this guy I'd seen around for about a week popped his head in. I invited him in for a beer this dude wasn't my typical type but most guy would find him cute (I'm more into bears but this dude was about 5' 10 175 blond hair and had kind of a baby face). For some reason I absolutely could not keep my eyes off of him! I knew he caught me looking. He was so cute I had to say something, besides I was afraid I was going to make him uncomfortable if I kept stareing anyway, so I just point blank asked the dude something to the effect of 'You ever been with a guy?". That seemed to catch him off guard but after a few seconds I got a reply like 'No, but I've been curious" we talked a few more minutes and I noticed dude kept looking out the door like he

---------- Post added 7th Sep 2013 at 03:53 AM ----------

didn't want anyone to hear our conversation. I offered to close the door and a few more hours of conversation and a several beers later that turned into a great night.

To this day I'm glad it turned out because I honestly don't know what I would have said/felt if it didn't. And no I have never done anything like that again!

Though we never messed around again we hung out all the time til dudes job ended and they transferred him somewhere else a couple months later (he worked on a highway crew).

16. Pat

Pat

See! That's a prime example of why I want to try it. I just have to think of a way to say it that doesn't offend someone. I'm going to talk to him for maybe a week first and then ask him about it. And I think I'll just do it the same way, "ever been with a guy?" I saw him the other day at the gym and got his number this time. It was more of the same, he seemed even more comfortable with me...I touched his butt a couple times and he didn't seem to mind lol.. I mean, Idk.. I'm leaning to thinking he's straight because he's played a lot of sports and may just be comfortable with his sexuality. This is a case where this is really the only way to find out for sure.

17. MilansMele

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    aloha, Pat

Sometimes actions speak louder than words. Why not invite him to another game of basketball. He may give you some signals that make his interest and intentions perfectly clear. If he doesn't, well that's an anwer too, although not the one you'd prefer.

Just make sure you have free time blocked out after the game.

Good luck,
    Milan

18. Pat

Pat

From what I observed, he was ok with my contact on him and would initiate on his own as long as no one else in the game was looking.. If they were looking at us he would move to the other side of the court away from me.. The only thing I could possibly do to be more direct by action is to grab him by the waste and try kissing him lol. Basketball is full of contact, so it's hard to figure out how much of that was necessary contact... And good idea about blocked out time!