1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Life is so unsatisfying

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by nlnlnl, Aug 23, 2013.

1. nlnlnl

nlnlnl Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    For the last few months life has been so unsatisfying...I don't really enjoy my job, feel lonely all the time, and I'm 25 years old and still haven't had any sort of meaningful relationship:

1) My Job: I started working for a software company a few months ago and liked it at first, but now I constantly dread going to work. I feel like I don't really know what I'm doing since I'm still fairly new, and my manager seems to always be hovering over me and pointing out everything I've done wrong. There are only 4 other people at the company and they're nice and all, but I don't really feel like I can relate to them or have meaningful conversations with them (they're all straight by the way). The last place I worked had a wide variety of people I worked with so there were at least a few people I related to. It's only Friday night and I'm already dreading work on Monday.

2) Friends: I only really have two good friends at the moment. My closest friend went on vacation for a month so I've been feeling pretty lonely since he left. My other friend always seems to make excuses when I ask him to hang out on the weekend. I've been asking for months and every weekend it's "I'm busy" or "I have a family thing to go to". It's like I look forward to the weekend because I won't have to work for a few days, and then when it comes I feel so lonely that I might as well just go back to work. I try to have fun with my hobbies alone since no one is ever around, but I end up getting depressed getting lost in my own thoughts. The only times I really feel satisfied is when I can go to some sort of event with a friend and forget about everything for a few hours.

3) Relationships: I'm 25 years old and I haven't even held hands with a guy, let alone anything else :frowning2:. I don't even know where to start with this sort of thing...help?? lol

Yea, I stopped writing cause just writing this post is making me depressed. Not really sure how to make my life more satisfying.

2. Munyal

A lot of this depends on where you live and how much you need this job, and if it is easy for you to get a new job. Also, have you considered any clubs/groups? They are great for meeting new people. Lastly, you should know that I have had 3/5 of the life experiences as you (at least age wise) and I have also never held a guy's hand romantically. So I'm in the same boat as you, at least in a dating sense. (Which is shocking, because I am stunningly attractive). Maybe you should try to become friends with your co-workers. Just because they are straight doesn't mean they can't understand you. I know a bisexual chick, and she is still coming out, like me, but I strongly dislike her. You just need to find a group of people you connect with.

Gosh, those thoughts were really disconnected. I have a tendency to do that.

3. KyleD

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Family only
    Try hitting the gym. Lifting weights is a great way to boost mood.

Also, start looking for a new job if your current one is unsatisfying.

As for love, this happens when you least expect it. Be patient. :wink:

4. srslywtf

Make a list of goals that will satisfy you, then make a list of actions that will bring you closer to those goals, then do them :slight_smile:

5. GentleBreeze

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I can't really give any advice as I'm on a similar boat. I can count my friends on one hand and I've been single about 95% of my life (and I'm almost 30). All I can do is say I know how it feels. Maybe I should keep an eye on this thread too lol.

6. bingostring

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Nothing worse than hating your job. If you have a job that is so disappointing that it spoils your week ends too, it must be worth doing something about. Sounds like the problem may not be you, or the job but more an overbearing nit-picking boss? Maybe you could work on him, discuss what you are doing at work and how you plan to do things so he can see you are trustworthy and then he may not hover over you so much? So worth trying to change your relationship with this guy.

Definitely gotta get more friends if you are relying on just two best friends being in town....so yes, as others have said, I'd develop some interests and get some group activities going (hobbies, interests, sports, LGBT society) so that your phone book starts filling up with new contacts and - who knows - romance could come from that too!!!

7. Ohhai

No advice just offering hugs xxx

8. ryanalexander61

I was in a similar situation about a year ago, hated my job, felt extremely lonely (not brag, I had more than enough friends, but no one to relate to so a lot of friends isn't always the answer). In addition, I am in law school which blows so any social life is shitty at best.

Anyway, fast forward nine months of this crap and I finally said I am going to stop complaining about my shitty job with shitty people and I started applying for new ones. A couple of days ago I got a job offer as a clerk for a law firm, and they are flying me out to their home office for training and orientation. Now, maybe I won't like this job either. And thinking in terms of a year at a time is not ideal. But if you take small steps to reach a goal, whether it be a new job or new friends one day you will lookup and see that you have found what you were seeking. But if you don't take the small steps you won't ever get that feeling.