1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

im not questioning my sexuality, i just want advice.

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by dduncan1999, Aug 25, 2013.

1. dduncan1999

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Im not questioning anything i know im pansexual and pangendered. I wanted to know if theres anyone out there (on this chat site) like me whose been successful in life (gone to college and gotten a nice stable job).
    Im starting highschool tomorow at a math and science based highschool, and i want to go to a specific college to become a nurse.
    Im worried that i will get discrimination for my sexuality and gender.
    i really want to be out and proud about myself and still be successful.
    Thanks to anyone who listens to my petty problems.:confused:

2. AKTodd

Well, I can't say I'm exactly like you (I'm quite solidly gay and male), but I'll throw my 2c worth in anyway.

I would say that you can be quite successful (as you're defining it), but your happiness and success in doing those things may be impacted by where you are doing them. When selecting possible locations for school or life and work after school, you may find things easier going in a more liberal and/or high population/urban part of the country vs a more conservative/rural/low population area. You probably also want to look at things like laws and attitudes toward LGBT rights, including marriage or domestic partnership, adoption of children, etc. You may or may not have any interest in those now, but you might later and also how a given area addresses these can give you an indicator for how you might be treated in general.

Hope this helps,

Todd

3. RainyViolinist

Gender and sexuality really don't matter in terms of success. I'm sure there are people just like you who have experienced success. Since you are going to a highschool that focuses on the sciences, I highly doubt that anyone will discriminate against you. It's truly a shame if you are discriminated against for your gender or sexuality if you are in the medical field. Aren't they supposed to know better? I'm kinda in the same boat as you as I'm going to a technical highschool with a Medical Arts program which I basically do lots of shadowing with a bunch of medical professionals such as surgeons, doctors, and the like. I'm sure if you put your mind to it, I'm sure you will succeed in your dreams (pardon the cheesiness in that). :slight_smile:

4. enigmeow

Your sexuality might make the wall a brick higher but you can still get over it

The biggest thing that stands in a persons way is themselves . They don't set the bar high enough and they give up to soon

I am successful. The world is full of successful lgbt people

5. Ohhai

In studying to be a nurse, and there is a pretty high number of gay men in my year :slight_smile: they're accepted, no one bats an eye lid xx