1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Finding other gay ppl in college?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by RCJ24, Aug 27, 2013.

1. RCJ24

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I have been attending the same university for 2 years. I am not out to very many people because we are in a pretty religious and conservative area where homosexuality is frowned upon. My group of friend consist of all straight people, I don't know any other gay person around. It's really hard not having any gay friends because I feel really alone and I have no one to be myself around. We don't have any kind of lgbt organizations on campus nor do we have any gay bars! I really need some advice on how to find some friends in the lgbt community in my university. What is a good way to meet other gays? Any advice would be appreciated! Thanks!

2. biggayguy

Is the university itself conservative? Perhaps there is a gay-straight alliance club. Is there a way you can find out? Going to club meetings is how I started getting involved. Another thing you might try is a Google search for gay activities in your area.

3. BooksJeansTea

Have you tried meetup.com to look for groups that way? If you live in a sparsely populated area you may have to travel a little ways. I found one in my section of FL that is trying to expand to statewide. I have to travel but it's better than nothing, right? You may be surprised what you find. :slight_smile:

4. RCJ24

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I wouldn't say the university itself is extremely conservative. Biguy50, you got me curious about the GSA so I researched it and they do have a GSA on campus but it is quite small. And once again, I'm a little afraid of going to something like the GSA and being outed.

5. You can always try location-based applications or websites, although those can be tricky, especially if all you're looking for are just friends. Just be careful and be clear about what you're looking for.

6. biggayguy

Is there some way you could contact an officer in the club? They could give you the time and place of the next meeting so that you can slip in relatively unseen. One advantage of coming out is that you don't have to worry so much who sees you going someplace.

7. RainbowMan

Well, since there is a GSA, that's a good sign. Also, remember what a GSA is - a gay-straight alliance. There's nothing that says you have to go there as anything other than an ally - if anyone asks why you were there, you were simply being supportive.

I think that it might be beneficial for you to come out (especially to the GSA - you're guaranteed that everyone there is not homophobic), but that's a choice that's entirely up to you and whatever makes you feel comfortable.

8. RCJ24

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Well I would absolutely love to be out, it would solve so many problems. But I can't risk losing my friends and family at this point in my life. I'm going to try and get the courage up to attend and GSA meeting, but I have been told they are rarely any people that show up. So we will see how things go I suppose!