1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Shaved my legs for the first time... SO MANY RAZOR BUMPS!!! NEED HELP!

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by memyself, Aug 29, 2013.

1. memyself

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Well, it wasn't completely the first time. I did shave my legs like a year ago or so, and that ended so badly. So painful! I guess what I messed up that time was that I did it in the tub and maybe the water wasn't clean enough and I didn't use a new razor.

This time... I went in prepared (not prepared enough I guess...). I used a new razor. I did it in the shower. I used shaving cream (mens shaving cream, maybe that was a mistake). And I even put lotion on them afterwards.
    At first it seemed to go really well! I missed some spots, but in general my legs felt and looked great :slight_smile: I was quite happy with how it turned out, but the next day and the two days after.... hundreds of prickly red bumps! Maybe thousands! They're finally starting to go away today.

I think maybe what I messed up was that maybe the shower wasn't hot enough? Maybe my legs got cold and I got goose bumps? Also maybe the men's shaving cream? (it's all I had. Maybe next time I should try aloe vera or tea tree oil or conditioner?) Also, I put on pants a short while after (because I live with my parents and I'm still self conscious of it). I also used a 4-blade bic razor because I'm cheap... I should probably cough up the money for a golette. I hear men's razors work better?

I'm afraid to try again, but I'm determined to get it right! I really prefer my legs to be shaved. It just feels right compared to having hairy gorilla legs.

Any help would be great :slight_smile:

2. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I had exactly the same problem but they do seem to stop coming up as much the more you do it!

3. Jordz

I agree, the more you do it the less it will happen. You just got to get used to it really :icon_wink

4. CharlieHK

CharlieHK Guest

That's razor burn at it's finest. "Shaving cream" makes your hair stand up, so what you nicked with the blade is the skin at the base of the hair that stood out when the hair stood up, so next time try rubbing conditioner on your legs before you shave. I did this for my first few times, helped. But it does take time to get use to, the first shave no matter how well you prep will always be a bit bumpy.

Also if you're shaving like once a week or more you shouldn't need cream, soap or conditioner works just as well and it's not as messy.

5. Bryar Thorne

Men's razors do tend to work better because they're typically made for use on the face which is really delicate.. I don't really know the difference between the razor blades but I've always thought a men's razor gives a closer and softer shave. That's just me though maybe. :slight_smile: Also, aloe vera should help with that but just make sure you don't use it immediately after if you may have cut yourself because it might get itchy and make your legs red for a bit, seeing as you said you want to kind of hide it. :slight_smile: but otherwise conditioner usually is great for it and you smell nice too :grin:

6. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Now if you discover a way of stopping it coming back so fast, or of shaving your own back without removing big chunks of flesh get back to me 'cause I'm about ready to burn it!

7. Squib

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I get razor burn and I've found that shaving gel helps, but also I can only use expensive razors that have the swivel heads rather than the ones that are fixed in one place. That may help. In certain areas of my leg I also have to shave following the grain of the hair as if I go against it I get bad shaving burn. It doesn't give as close a shave but at least it's better than the hell unleashed with razor burn! The itching is unbearable at times. Hope this helps

8. Bryar Thorne

Oo! adding to this. Following the hair can work as well as shaving sideways and like.. not swiveling your leg but moving your leg instead of the razor and keeping it still. That helps too. :grin:

oh hun.. what are we going to do with you? :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: have you tried using a different kind of hair removal on your back? because that sounds awfully painful :eek:

9. Cap’nSerious

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You just have get used to it. Happened to me first few times shaving my legs, it got red and itchy. Went away after doing it a few times. I’m am lucky though, I have very little body hair elsewhere( other than down there and my legs).

10. Sarah1

Sarah1 Guest

Hahaha I agree don't use disposable razors ever! Gillette Mach 3 is the razor I use - just make sure you wash and rinse your legs before shaving and go slow. Are you sure you want to transition? Shaving your legs is such a pain in the ass!

11. Adi

Adi

Out Status:
    A few people
    Why not try waxing?

12. Anthemic

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It probably happened because you haven't done it in a while. Also, try using women's shaving cream, preferably Skintimate. I've actually used the foam kind that is a lot like men's shaving cream, and it's horrible. Skintimate is designed for legs. It's very silky and comes out like gel at first. Plus, it smells great! :grin:
    Also, for a razor, use Venus. They're wonderful! :slight_smile:

13. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I have more cuts on my body now than I think I've ever had from that damned razor!

I tried waxing once but I couldn't figure out how to make it work, which could just be me being completely dense and unable to figure out instructions! I'm tempted to go out and buy some of this stuff you put on then wash off but I need everyone to be gone before away for a day before I can!

14. Bryar Thorne

Oo like Nair! That stuff works well too. Waxing your back alone sounds.. really difficult too. :eek: And why be gone? Do they not want you shaving your back? o.o

15. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Be gone because I don't want the nosey buggers asking what I'm doing. I definitely don't want to have to explain that I'm trying to get my legs and other bits silky smooth!

16. Stephany

Sounds like ingrown hairs... especially since it took a couple days. Razor burn is usually instant..or at least for me. Because men tend to (and this is a generalization, I do realize some women have thicker hair) have thicker, coarser hair.. it grows back kind of wacky. I have this problem as a woman because of my heritage (thank you Grandma for making your grand daughters gorillas). What I've found works best for me, is first.. I wrap my legs in warm damp towels...kind of like when men get a straight razor shave. This kind of opens up the pores. Then I use a high quality razor and shave IN the direction of the hair, never against. When I am done I wrap my legs up again in warm towels and then apply lavender oil.

Now I just wax...so much easier :slight_smile: