1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do I keep up with a conversation? / Scared and nervous

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Fragile, Aug 29, 2013.

1. Fragile

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    As the topic says.
    I honestly do not know how to keep up with a conversation with new people. Mostly guys I guess... It usually comes out like this ''Hey, how are you?, what's up?, bye.''

Can someone help me get out of my shell? I've been in this shell for years after having depression and such (long story, let's just say I've made mistakes in the past ever since I moved to a different state and now I feel like people, even my friends talk behind my back and I'm scared/feel nervous to talk to anyone now). I feel lonely most of the time now... :frowning2:

2. LD579

Asking questions about them is always something you can do. Just showing interest can help as well =) Topics can flow from there. When a conversation seems at its end, it's good to let it be, as well. It can take practice, I suppose, as well as a willingness to sometimes be judged but being okay with that. Even just talking with people on EC can be seen as practice of sorts. You could try that for the time being, but let it augment in-person practice.