1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What to do with my life? Im stuck (Education/Career)What is the point of life?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by TyTy91, Sep 2, 2013.

1. TyTy91

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I know I came on here before but Im really down right now I dont know what to do with my life as for a career. :tears: Im not good at alot of stuff and Im unskilled and Im not
    interested in a lot of things and Im battling mentally ADD anxiety and
    dealing with symptoms of depression at the same time.

Currently right now Im enrolled in a community college I signed up
    late for classes but Im taking 2, Intro to Psychology and Learning
    Support Math. School has always been difficult for me but Im trying.
    My main goal is to just complete all of my core classes. I honestly
    dont know what realistic degree to get.

My dream career are either 3 things either Casting Director or in
    casting for TV/Film in general, the 2nd one is to be a interviewer
    for celebrities like (Musicians Actors/Actresses) for a small TV
    station or for a small website channel, I DON'T want to be a Wendy
    Williams or Barbara Walter famous. I dont want the fame. The
    3rd is to be a entertainer reporter for a radio show and present what
    is going on in the entertainment world.
    I was interested in interviewing people when I took video production
    in high school and I interviewed people for my projects for the school
    TV show, I was nervous but liked interviewing people at the same time.
    Even though I have some problems listening I try harder now and prefer
    to listen to people than to talk about myself. Its weird because I
    have social anxiety but I would like to do this.
    Those are my dream careers its not like I want to be a famous singer or an astronaut!
    I explained this to another forum for advice on education/college forum and they were pretty negative 'honest" but in a negative way. I dont know what to do Im trying I even bought myself a book on careers, and Im not interested in alot things let alone the capacity to learn how to do the jobs because theyre either too complicated or the careers im somewhat interested in I wish I had the skills for the career otherwise I would pursue it. :bang:

Lets say if I wanted to pursue those careers and go after my dream
    what degree would I need to achieve those Communications, TV/Radio,
    Journalism? I heard a Bachelors Degree is good but isnt necessary well at least
    for a TV degree because you would have to start at the bottom anyways.
    Plus an Associates Degree is more affordable then a Bachelors degree.

Long story short Im trying to move out of my parents house so I can
    finally live my life and be gay and finally find/discover/create
    myself and be free. My parents and I are TOTALLY different and dont
    see eye to eye on anything. The only reason why we're civil is because
    I dont like to argue and fuss. They are devout jehovahs witness and so
    my childhood wasnt the happiest like the average American child.
    Plus I cant go to gay clubs or do anything gay related (Pride,Organizations etc) on account it could put my dads position in the congregation at risk. Even though I dont even go anymore because Im working and school!
    The only reason thats holding me back is not having enough money and fear of having to move back with my parents. I only have $6,000 in my name and if I move out that would last me only a couple of months.:icon_sad:

Currently right now I really want to move out of my parents house SOOO bad plus
    Im 22 and I work at a grocery store that pays $9.50 an hour but I
    would like to have a job that earns a little bit more. I keep on hearing "life gets better it gets so much better" the more I hear people say it the more I think its just BS. I wish if I was just underage again just run away from "home" and find a new accepting family that would take me in. Why does my life suck? Im praying to God and asking Why? What is my calling?

Im just having some thoughts of just give up what is the point in making a career. :icon_sad Honestly what is the purpose of living if you have nothing to offer? The only thing good about me is my smile but my smile won't pay!

2. Feijoa

There's a lot of good career choices to be made in Film & TV and the ones you have interests in are pretty exciting and rewarding in their own right. Have you given any thought to approaching some tv stations in your area just to shadow a reporter and gain some of their insight into what they do?

Having worked in tv & film, I can tell you that casting can be interesting and challenging. Sometimes it's trying to find the right people to give to director's and clients as options for a commercial; other times it could be looking for someone for a particular role in film or stage. Interning, or shadowing for a casting agency could be a good start to not only seeing if it is an avenue to pursue, but also could land you some Part-time work.

I noticed you're in Atlanta... maybe do a quick google search of "Casting agencies" and maybe email them or visit them with a resume* explaining how you would like to gain experience in the industry and are interested in volunteering, sitting in on a casting session and possibly interning for a couple weeks during a heavy work-load period for them.

*Your resume can reflect your enthusiasm for becoming a casting director, or working for a casting agency and gaining experience. Don't feel intimidated of not being able to list a whole dose of related jobs or interests - that's why you want to volunteer/intern, to gain experience!

There's a lot that happens in a casting agency, and I am pretty confident you will find something within casting that will not only be rewarding, but get you headed in understanding more where you want to go.

3. Georgetown00001

Sometimes being in the right place at the right time can surpass an education. I am not suggesting you stop your college studies, but there are a lot of unhappy people with degrees that do not serve them and they are thousands in student loan debt. You make your own choices and destiny. Go for it. Make your own luck.

4. AKTodd

Dude, not to be unsupportive, but you've posted this same basic thing more than 10 times now.

Each time you post it, you get some number of replies offering support and advice. After which you go quiet for a bit (usually without actually replying to anybody who's posted advice to you) and then pop up again essentially reposting the same thing all over again. I'm honestly not sure if you're just hoping to get different answers to the same question or what the deal is, but from what I've seen we're all telling you the same thing again and again and again.

I'm very sorry that your life is hard right now, and I and lots of other people are happy to offer advice. But when you don't seem to really be listening to the advice being offered (or even acknowledging that anyone has said anything to you or that you're listening to anything anyone is saying) it eventually starts to seem rather pointless to keep trying to help you.

To reiterate your situation as you've described it and the general suggestions people have made:

1) You don't like living with your parents - Find a place you can afford, whether by yourself on your current salary or with roommates and move out.

a. You don't like the idea of rooming with people you don't know - Life is tough that way sometimes. Sometimes you just have to do what you have to do, even if you'd rather not.

2) You don't know exactly what path to follow to get the sort of job you think you want - Talk to the career counseling services at your school. Look into the options that have been suggested by various people in their replies to your posts. Those include internships, getting a job somewhere in the business and using that as a stepping stone to what you want, and possibly getting a degree that will lead you into the field (the exact degree can vary - again talking to the career counseling services at school, or maybe going to a job fair, or reaching out to the HR depts in the TV/film industries might all be options.

There are probably others, but you can find those by reviewing all your posts - the main thing here is that you need to DO something and start looking around and trying to measure the size of the problem you are trying to solve. That is really the only way to get un-stuck. Once you have an initial grasp on things based on looking around, that may lead to next steps or you might come back here and post what you've learned and everyone can share additional thoughts and ideas to keep you moving forward. But only you can take that first step.

Todd

5. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    ^ This, mainly.

It's human nature to want to both hold on to what you've got AND move forward, but the fact is - you can't do both. It's like Tarzan swinging his way through the jungle - he has to let go of the previous vine to let the next one take him forward. And as long as you grasp on to that vine you currently have, you're not going to be moving forward.

I was sort of stuck in a rut for awhile, too. I was living with my parents after college, doing rather menial work for not much pay. Not getting paid enough to move out and move on. I finally forced myself to start looking for jobs in my chosen field, and I was finally offered one.

750 miles away.
    For 30 hours a week.
    At $6 an hour.

I thought about it for about 30 minutes. To be in a small town where I knew nobody, making not-enough-to-live-on, at a company I knew very little about.

I took the job.
    And I can't tell you how much better my life got after that. :slight_smile:

No, the job wasn't always fantastic. Yes, I had to get a second job on top of the first one. But for the first time, I was actually living independently. And even when I had only a couple bucks to my name, that was awesome.

Lex

6. TyTy91

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    @AKTodd
    Im sorry it just feels like my situation is getting worse and the thing thats really holding me back is fear of the unknown. In the religion that Ive raised in, it teaches that we shouldn't be part of the world so my parents pretty much made that happen and not giving me responsibilities while growing up that most families esp middle class families have their kids do. Ex from going to the store to pick up things for them, to going out with friends to the movies and go out to eat on your own. Last year was my first time going out to a restaurant paying for my own food and tipping the waitress without my parents and I was 21 at the time. Most kids do that when they're 15, 16!
    Most Ex JW know this because of experience but since the elders in the congregations preach constantly that we should be no part of the world and to stick close together as a congregation, people, young people my age or around my age who are in the rebel stage because of being young and experiment or REALLY dont want to be part of the JW religion and just want to leave, and when they leave, since they left and not experience the real world we're not use to that and some had came back into the religion because they werent taught to fend for themselves esp minors (15-18). Speak of witnessing an experience my sister ran away from home when she was younger but eventually came back 3 times in her life back "home". I dont want that to happen to me thats why Im fearful for the unknown and not experienced in the real world.
    Not to mention I really didnt have a voice while growing up and my parents esp my dad making decisions for me, so the consequences now is that it feels like I dont have a mind of my own.
    So I try to get a lot of peoples perspectives and ask other people if the advice would be good to follow. If you can understand what Im coming from now.

7. AKTodd

I understand where you're coming from. But by and large what we're suggesting you do at this point is try to get more information so you can make a more informed decision. Doing that will cost you nothing but a bit of time. And if you are to ultimately change your circumstances, you're going to have to make some changes. I'd also point back to the title of this thread - you said you were 'stuck' not just trying to get multiple perspectives. Just sayin :wink:

As far as not knowing the world - I grew up in a very VERY small town in Alaska in a very poor family. I didn't tip anyone until I was in my 20s either - because I didn't eat out by myself as a kid and only did fast food for a good bit when I hit college (mainly because of money). So I learned how over time (in part by just going out and DOING it, including moving thousands of miles away from home to a major city and a college that had more people on campus than lived in most of the cities in Alaska). You have access to a computer and the internet, which means you have access to the greatest collection of information in human history. While some care is called for in using it, with a bit of time you can learn about a lot of things. Or ask about them here on EC. Looking at your wall, I'd also note that a former member who is a former JW and has offered to help you with your situation. Have you followed up on that?

I guess what I'm trying to say is that we're all prepared to help you as much as we can. But ultimately, you have to get the ball rolling - and at least in this early stage of things there's a lot you can do to help yourself with little or no cost beyond some time.

We're already to walk beside you, but ultimately you have to take the first step.

Best,

Todd

8. TyTy91

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    OMG I see it now! Wow Im embarrassed I didnt see the post he made! I hardly go to my page just this section! Hopefully he will respond back to me when I msg him. I see that he msg in July : O Thanks for pointing that out at least now I have someone to talk too who been in my situation.
    Thanks Todd! : ) I'll start looking at on my page now instead reposting! lol