1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I wasted my life at University and now I don't know what to do

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Gazza123, Sep 2, 2013.

1. Gazza123

Gazza123 Guest

Now before you jump to conclusions I didn't waste my time with parties and all that. I'm actually referring to studying Media for 3 years which now I realise was a complete waste of time which could have been put to better use in studying something worth while. I don't know even know why I studied Media because the qualification is useless.

I'm just so lost with what to do career wise as I don't want to be stuck working in a supermarket part time all my life. I really want to work with children but every where I turn you seem to need to be qualified through a course in University and well I already wasted my time doing stupid Media!!!!

The support avenue sounds like the right way to go for me but I just can't find the right thing. I did this thing online where you outline your strengths, skills, and personality and it matches you to ideal jobs bested suited. It came up with Occupational Therapist, Speech Therapist and Nurse but for all these you need qualifications which I can't get anymore with University costing a fortune and... Oh well

Guess I'll just have to hope a miracle happens

2. Adi

Adi

Out Status:
    A few people
    You need college to be a nurse? Don't you need to just go to nursing school?

3. Feijoa

These things happen but don't feel stuck. It just requires a little creativity to find other avenues for where you want to go. For example, you could apply your degree towards working with a charity involved in one of the areas you find yourself drawn to. From there you may be able to learn more about the field and finally be able to do courses sponsored by the charity or explore how to get into that field full time.

Media degrees are a waving flag for getting you into interviews that require degrees or specifically media centric roles - and those are needed everywhere! Don't lose heart :wink:

4. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Nursing is a program offered at colleges, similar to how "law school" is just the graduate program at universities offering law.

What do you mean media is a useless degree though? It's very location-based, but you should easily be able to get a job with that. Were you thinking of TV, radio, commercials, something else?

5. Adi

Adi

Out Status:
    A few people
    It might be one of those "Media studies" programs though, where you don't actually learn anything about working in the media. The only decent career path is academia.

6. Georgetown00001

How can you waste your life and not be 25 yet? It's called finding your way and who you are. Everything you do will lead you to where you need to be. That doesn't mean just let your life run its own course; rather, make choices that you think are best for you...and only you. You will be fine

7. Gazza123

Gazza123 Guest

Script Writing is my main focus but its a very free lance type of thing and you have to have a lot of luck.

I just feel I am at a loose end and yeah the media degree is useless tbh

We had my degree certificate on the wall but I told my parents to take it down because I didn't wanna see it anymore... just a worthless bit of paper. It's stuffed away in a draw somewhere now. I wish I did something worth while with my university time

---------- Post added 2nd Sep 2013 at 11:08 PM ----------

I just meant three years at University doing media wasted when I could taken my chance at University to study something more worth while for three years. Now for the likes of teachers and support roles alike, you need a degree which isn't an option for me anymore.

---------- Post added 2nd Sep 2013 at 11:10 PM ----------

I just meant three years at University doing media wasted when I could taken my chance at University to study something more worth while for three years. Now for the likes of teachers and support roles alike, you need a degree which isn't an option for me anymore.

8. Feijoa

Build your options as you develop your scriptwriting. It is a developed art and success in the field is based on a delicate mix of talent, connections, timing and pure gumption. There are fields in media that can help you though. Look at copywriting with ad agencies; tv and radio commercial script writing; and also consider checking out forums like zoetrope.com where you can get valuable feedback on your writing.

Diversify yourself within a field. It is amazing just how much being a set PA, for example can actually help your script writing, and gain you experience within the field. Try approaching production houses and agencies in your hometown or area selling yourself as someone who wants to gain experience.

9. Willjarvis

I should think you know more about this than I do, but are you definitely ineligible for the necessary financial assistance from the NHS?

These things are usually aimed at people who don't have first degrees, but I think it's relatively common and encouraged for people to become "mature" healthcare students. It might be difficult for a more recent graduate like yourself to be accepted onto this kind of course, but if this is anything like applying for medicine, it's a matter of proving that you can work in care by doing so, usually by volunteering at hospitals, nursing homes, Lourdes etc. Anything involving children shouldn't hurt either, like Camp America for instance, especially if you like that sort thing and will be able to discuss with enthusiasm. It's not just gap year students who take time out to do these things.

10. Gazza123

Gazza123 Guest

I'm just not sure what path I wanna go down right now. Besides stuff like camp america i couldnt do because besides the cost and everything including leave my current job, I don't doing flying... At all.

11. Feijoa

Heya,

I can understand your frustrations. I spent about 10+years trying to work out what I wanted to do as I did copywriting and tried to develop scripts. In the end it was when the contract of one job had expired and I had decided to go back to school for a couple of courses did things actually fall into place. I followed side routes of my field and now I am doing something related but a 100times better than I had ever thought.

My advice is to try - either as a volunteer, shadowing for a day, or with a charity - every thing you am in the fields that interest you. Even as a newly graduate you can approach places and talk to them. People are always interested in taking about their work and field. They may even be able to offer you an opportunity.

But don't sweat it all. It is perfectly okay to swap careers, change your mind and want to do different things. There are means to learning and not all of them begin and end with university. For what you have described I don't think there is an apprentice programme but there are learning opportunities through things like NHSJobs, CharityJobs.co.uk, JournalismJobs.co.uk and the government lsc.co.uk

Hope the websites linked are okay - I am assuming UK in reference to the NHS earlier

12. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    First, you did career assessment, which is smart. Are you in the U.S. or not? If you are, you can go for additional cheap tests at local community colleges. I am sure there are less expensive ways to obtain admission into those fields, rather than an expensive private college. You're 23. You could do it part-time, you can find out if you qualify for financial aid, you can go someplace cheap. Also, what about teaching? I believe that if you have a degree, a teaching certification is also available in a short time period. Check out your options. Don't throw in the towel.