1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

feeling adventurous! ready to find some gay friends.

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Stridenttube, Sep 3, 2013.

1. Stridenttube

Stridenttube Guest

Okay so I'm feeling more confident and way less depressed now that my antidepressants are starting to work. I'm in a college town of about 25k students. Surely some of those guys are gay right? Problem is, I don't know how to find them. Just to clarify I'm NOT IN COLLEGE! So the LGBT club isn't going to be any use to me as Im not a student.

Should I just use a hookup app and hope that someone wants to hang out and not get screwed? I'm not really sure what to do here. Its not as if I can go to Starbucks and yell "okay, which of you guys is gay and wants to go do something?"

Any advice?

2. Stridenttube

Stridenttube Guest

Anyone?

:icon_sad:

3. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You definitely COULD do that starbucks thing...I mean I wouldn't recommend it...

You could see if there are any 'gay friendly' hang-out (bars, clubs, cafes etc) in your area. There must be a million websites listing 'em.

4. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I know you say you aren't a student. However, have you checked to see if the college's LGBT club absolutely requires you to be a student? I've heard some will let anyone of college age in, student or not.

If they do require you to be a student, maybe you could qualify by taking 1 one credit class.

The problem with the phone apps is that I get the impression that 99.99999% of the users are only interested in a hookup. You might be better with an online dating system...although one hears lots of horror stories about that.

I know this is of little comfort, but you aren't alone. I live in a fairly well populated area, but I have had zero luck finding LGBT social opportunities nearby.

5. You can definitely use a hookup app or certain websites to find the gays around you. I've made some really good friends from hookup apps. You just have to be clear that you're not "looking" and not interested in "NSA fun." Just be clear about it, weed out the ones you don't like, and be friends with those that you do.

6. Stridenttube

Stridenttube Guest

No, I haven't checked with them. And there's not a whole lot of gay stuff to do in Oklahoma except for No strings attached sex.

7. MilansMele

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Aloha, Stridenttube!

If there are not a lot of gay things to do in OK, why not start something?

You could start a gay

running
    hiking
    gourmet dining
    tennis
    golf
    photography
    music
    (the list is endless!)

group by putting an ad on the communities activities section of your OK online bulletin board. You can even aim for an age group, a geographic location, or a skill level. Just don't make it sound like a personal ad.

Once you get a group of interested people, THEN you go to your local Starbucks for your first meeting. Be open to ideas. Don't try to own the process, just get it organized and started. It will take on a life of its own. But bottom line, you will be meeting a bunch of people.

Have fun! And let me know how it turns out!

Milan

8. Stridenttube

Stridenttube Guest

Its a decent sized town. I think I might try emailing the schools lgbt organization and see if they will let me join without being a student. I'm not holding my breath. Even then I'd probably chicken out at the last minute. Seems like I never fit in.

9. Mysz

Even if you can't join without becoming a student, try asking if you can attend any off-campus/on-campus activities the club hosts.

10. srslywtf

hookup apps aren't all about sex... i mean, 99% sure. :lol: But I've met a guy off one for coffee the other day, was nice. I think the words "no expectations" should be thrown around liberally. but generally I've found a few people looking for the same kinda deal. I'm meeting up with another on friday night. I would definitely say meet somewhere public. I'm talking to a few others too, they're rare(ish), but they're there.

Also, I would get in touch with an organiser of an LGBT group. they're probably happy to help :slight_smile:

and if not, find out where their meetings are and tail the cute boys (in the most un-creepy way you can!)

11. Holly

As it is a decent sized town, you might be surprised how many gay bars/clubs there are. I literally just googled my town, and I was surprised as there is like 5 gay bars/clubs where I am, and the surrounding areas. A simple google search may help you find some.

There may also be some official LGBT support groups if it's rather decent sized town.

12. Stridenttube

Stridenttube Guest

Srslywtf: good point. I get that they're some guys on hookup apps like that. And I'm willing to give it a shot. And ill get in touch with the colleges LGBT club and see of they will be nice to me and let me participate. I'm hoping the people in the club are more accepting then my old high school classmates. I was horrible at making friends. :icon_sad:

Holly: don't think they're any clubs In my area, according to google anyway. Can't go to bars since I'm only 19. :lol:

13. Holly

Ah, apologies. The legal drinking age in the UK is 18, so you would be able to go to them if you were here :L