1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Yippy.......but.....

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by TeePee, Sep 4, 2013.

1. TeePee

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I finally started college and I'm super excited about it. What makes it even more exciting is that I threw all caution to the wind and went for my degree program of choice - Applied Physics. You see, at the beginning of the year, I was worried that I wasn't going to be able to pursue physics as I needed to work and go to school at the same time. I'm having one trouble though. I'm finding it difficult to make friends. Everyone seems dis - interested, or it's just me. I'm enjoying the program but i feel kinda isolated . is it too early to worry about being a Loner during a time that's supposed to the best of my life. id hate to be without friends like in my 2 lonley years at high school.

2. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well if it matters I went the first 3 weeks of my original uni course without speaking to ANYONE then one of my classmates recognized me on the bus and decided to speak to me...I'm not sure if I'm recommending waiting or going up to someone and saying "Hey aren't you in..." or something, but I'm sure you won't be friendless the WHOLE time...

3. AKTodd

From what I remember of college physics and engineering classes, everyone is probably up to their eyebrows in schoolwork and stress and that's eating most of their attention. You may (or may not:wink: ) be able to relate to this. Regardless, I doubt it's anything against you personally, at least based on what you've posted so far.

Are there labs in this major and could you strike up a conversation with a lab partner? Is there a LGBT group on campus you could join and meet people through? Do you have a roommate you can go grab lunch with? Etc.

The main thing is looking for an opportunity to just strike up a conversation and get to know other people. Some of them will likely just be one-shot things, some may turn into friendships that last for years or even the rest of your life. Don't feel pressured or nervous and just keep an eye out for a good time to say 'hi!'.

Todd