1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What to do when feeling lonely?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Gazza123, Sep 5, 2013.

1. Gazza123

Gazza123 Guest

So it happened last night and it got kinda well... I felt sad. Btw I live with my parents so I am in no way alone ALONE. But I was lying bed last night think how alone I am on terms of being single. I actually hugged my pillow, I know pathetic right, and felt my self getting really sad to point of being on the brink of tears.

I know this is stupid and I am making a big deal out of nothing but I'm just waiting the right guy and he's well, taking a little too long to come along... If ever, and its those quieter moments in my life in which I feel most sad that I don't have someone.

2. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Don't say that's pathetic! If people keep doing that people will start believe hugging pillows and pretending they are people is BAD...then we're ALL screwed...

But seriously, there is a biiig difference between being literally alone and where you are right now. Having your parents kicking around does not make up for the fact that you've got nobody in bed with you, kicking you in the night and scratching the shit out of you by accident with their pointy toe-nails!

Someone'll turn up!

3. bingostring

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hey, its natural to be sad like that. But are you getting "out there" ... putting yourself in wider social circles so you can meet a special person??

4. Van

Van

This is how I feel pretty much everyday.

What to do? Maybe read a book or watch a movie, or go out with a friend?
    Although, I'm not sure any of these would help... (at least not in my case. :grin:)

5. Gazza123

Gazza123 Guest

Not really.

They like little distractions but they don't last long and I am back to the bigger picture of being lonely

---------- Post added 5th Sep 2013 at 07:53 PM ----------

I don't know how

My only social outlet is work. Outside of that I am at home or out with parents

6. Amerigo

i hug my pillow like every other day (*hug*)

there are benefits to being single, solitude, alone, a loner...i'm not sure what they are, but look for them!

7. Gazza123

Gazza123 Guest

Both sides have they pros and cons

8. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Take a drive if you have a car, and clear your head. If you're in a city, take a bus or transit ride somewhere and walk. Get something to eat while you're doing this. If I'm down, this often works for me.

9. Rakkaus

Rakkaus Guest

Oh I feel this way all the time, loneliness is horrible, such a feeling of isolation and hopelessness. :tears:

Usually I will go on one of the dating apps on my phone and scare away some random horny guy who messages me looking for sex, by ranting about how depressed and lonely I am and how I want a relationship.

10. gravechild

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    You can be surrounded by all the people in the world and still feel alone, and I think it comes with how much we open up, are understood, and supported that determines how alone we feel we are. This goes for those in relationships, too.

Being LGBT is a huge burden to carry, no lie, and having others in a similar position to share and help has been one of the best things for me. There was a time I felt I needed to be in a relationship to be satisfied, so I rushed, got mixed up with another dysfunctional person, and ended up regretting a lot of it, though it did give me experience that was sorely needed for personal growth.

The thing is, since I can barely take care of myself right now, there's no way I'm handling another person and their issues, too. Relationships take a fair amount of maturity, self-awareness, and vulnerability, so it's not like someone comes into your life and solves everything while you live happily ever after. They take a ton of investment, and can be roller coasters.

Have you tried forming strong contacts outside of the whole sex and relationships arena? That's what I'm doing right now, since a lot of my friends and relatives became distant after coming out, and even those who are trying to understand really can't give me much specialized advice, since they're in a totally different position.

11. Gazza123

Gazza123 Guest

Like I said its the quieter moments in my life when my mind gets to wander too much. I feel sad and don't get me wrong, I don't think a relationship would solve my problems.

I just think it would be nice and about time for me

But I guess life doesn't think so... So....

I've tried firming friendships which I have worked bit they always too busy to do anything outside of work so I've given up. Ironically they too busy with they girlfriends/boyfriends

#11 Gazza123, Sep 5, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 5, 2013
  12. bingostring

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Weelll..

You can force yourself to feel uncomfortable by joining an activity group sports, cycling, walking, art, games, (LGBT or just straight) to improve your social circles. I know it sounds cringeworthy - and every EC post reply seems to suggest this but there is something in it.

You won't get much improvement if work ... and your bedroom ... are your only existence.

Also ... Do you think you'll be living with parents forever? Maybe think of sharing in a LGBT shared house in town..?

13. I pretty much feel like this all the time to some extent. I really don't cope with it, I just try to ignore the feeling, but it always comes back.

14. Gazza123

Gazza123 Guest

Believe me. I've spent a good few hours looking for groups which just don't seem to exist... Ill probably have another look.

Yeah, I'm sticking with my parents... I don't plan on moving out anytime soon

15. Saint Otaku

I can empathize with you. Unfortunately I'm still a minor, and quite alien in thought to most people around me -- even family and close friends -- so the solitude is both my comfort and tormentor.

16. IzCassie

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    I can definitely relate. Being alone is terrible, and it's even worse when you have crippling social anxiety and trouble meeting new people.

You will meet the right guy, though, eventually. It's just a matter of time. Try not to dwell on it too much. The more you think about it, the more you'll stress yourself out.

17. Gazza123

Gazza123 Guest

I do try not to dwell on it too much but I can't help it sometimes