1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Euthanasia (of animals)

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by cali, Sep 5, 2013.

1. cali

Hey, was hoping for some advice. I've had a few bad euthanasias recently (I'm a vet). The actual procedure was fine, but, I've had a few clients that were very upset. My problem is I'm not sure what to say to them? Do they want to hear 'I know how you feel', 'you're doing the right thing'?? Is there something I can say that will comfort them? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. Boyfriend

Boyfriend Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    "Hold on to the good memories..." and yes, "You did the right thing".

3. Bree

I wouldn't say "I know how you feel" or "Everyone goes through this". Putting a pet to sleep is a painful thing for a "parent" to deal with, and they might feel like you're invalidating their experience somewhat (like when you tell someone something personal for you, and they say "oh, everyone feels like that"). Keep a box of tissues on hand, and just let them know that it's okay to cry. Make it a safe space.
    You as a vet have to be professional about it and keep your walls up, or you'd have a mental breakdown from all the death--but the person bringing in their pet needs to grieve.

4. MilansMele

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Aloha, Cali

This is a really difficult thing to go through. I feel for you. You obviously have real compassion for all involved.

Some things I've told myself when facing a situation like this:

-Now they are free from their pain and suffering.
    -They're in a better place.

Sometimes just holding hands or giving a hug says a lot too.

Cali, make sure you take care of yourself too. This can wear you down if you don't have someone to talk to and deal with your own feelings.

Hope this helps a little.

Milan

5. photoguy93

I can't even imagine what you have to go through. Ahh...I couldn't!

However, I think the best thing you can do in the moment is just say that you're there for them if they need your support. If you know certain clients, then comfort them with whatever you think might work. Just be yourself and be personable. I think it's totally fine to say that it was the best thing for Fido or Fifi, because they shouldn't have to suffer.

6. The vet who euthanized my dog a few weeks ago was very good.

He let us sit with my dog on a blanket on the floor of the exam room and then afterward he let us stay with my dog by ourselves for a little while to say goodbye. He allowed us as much time as we needed to do so.

Really the vet didn't say much, except that it was just be like falling asleep.

I think it was better that no one tried to make me feel better. There just wasn't anything that would have done it.

7. cali

Thank you so much for all your replies! All the advice is brilliant and I'll try them. It is the hardest part of the job, especially when I become attached to the animals. :frowning2: