1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

No one knows I'm gay in college!

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by charlavail, Sep 5, 2013.

1. charlavail

Out Status:
    All but family
    So this is my first week in college, and let me tell you how these girls are all so attractive. I'm like in heaven.

Anyways, I was talking with someone who is "visually" queer, and they were like "really? You look straight, I never would have guessed."

This a problem. I guess I'm super femme-y (not really, I thought....). I was going to join any LGTBQ type club in school, and I've been able to bring it up, but it's kind of upsetting that I thought I might be able to find a girlfriend in college (not now obviously, but maybe in the future ) and everyone thinks I'm straight.

I'm actually going in about 2 weeks to an LGTBQ mixer, but it's still kind of hard. Does anybody have any ideas? This sounds so stupid, I know. But, I come from a conservative area where I really wasn't allowed to express who I was without being in fear, now that I have a chance to express my sexuality far away from home, I'm kind of sad it's not really going how I wished.

2. The Dude

I just wrote out a long reply and then my internet crashed...but I'll write it out again.

Go to that LGBT mixer, you have to. I was a freshman last year and was absolutely miserable because I stayed closeted. I made no friends, became very depressed and was just miserable. Don't make this mistake.

Go to LGBT meetings, wear a rainbow bracelet and be yourself. If you want to live out, then tell people you're gay. You said you've never been able to express yourself before, so if you want to be a new person, do it. Just make sure you stay true to yourself. You sound as if you're giving up already and it's only the second week...

I went to my first ever LGBT club last night and I'm going to a different one Monday. There are two at my college. I'm wearing a rainbow bracelet and I'm trying to make some LGBT friends...I'm doing what I can to make myself more out, although, like you, I don't seem to fit the stereotypes. I wear a lot of hockey shirts and have terrible sense of fashion (I realize these are stereotypes, but I'm aware that I'm not perceived as gay by those around me.) Just be you, and be open about it. Join the clubs, meet new people, and never give up. And keep me/EC updated, we all want to see you find what you are looking for!

Good luck, I realize I rambled a bit and was unorganized but it was my second time writing it out.

---------- Post added 5th Sep 2013 at 11:49 PM ----------

And like I said, you're trying to come out in the second week (I assume) of college. I'm in my second year.

3. charlavail

Out Status:
    All but family
    This may sound really stupid and childish, but I was actually contemplating buying a rainbow lanyard. I have a normal one that I use to hang my keys and ID. I don't wear it around my neck, but I have to continuously carry it around because everywhere I go I have to use it.

4. The Dude

No you should do it...like I said, I wear a rainbow bracelet. I wore it at home and one of my brothers said that once he saw it, it confirmed his suspicions that I was gay. I didn't even have to tell him, he just knew. I'm not saying if you get it that the chicks will start flocking to you, but it might attract some attention, and if nothing else is a symbolic reminder to yourself of who you are. That's how I look at it anyway