1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hopeless Romantic Syndrome

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by BenW, Sep 7, 2013.

1. BenW

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I don't think I ever really thought of myself as being "hopelessly romantic" until just now, but I guess I am.

I just watched the film "North Sea Texas" (a French film, subtitled to English) and the happy ending made me depressed. Go figure.

Partly what urked me is that Pim looks vaguely like a friend of mine who I can't have, but who knows I like him.

Now I'm all depressed and longing for a romantic relationship with a happy ending, that just isn't happening for me. Why can't real life be more like the movies sometimes? *sigh*

2. Diego89

I feel you! I suppose deep inside we're all hopeless romantics...

3. MilansMele

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Aloha, Ben

Write you own script.
    Keep acting it out until it happens. (It will!)
    Never give up being "hopelessly romantic" until it's no longer hopeless.

I wish you all of this and more.

Milan

4. BenW

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Script? Heck, I wouldn't be able to remember a script to save my life.

I have too many social anxiety problems to hardly date in the first place. I'm hoping things will get better once I eventually settle up the Pacific Northwest of the US (I hope that's vague enough for the rules). Part of my anxiety is being in the South where you're more likely to get your skull smashed in for being gay.

5. I feel like this sometimes too... I hate knowing that 99% of the time my crush could never return my feelings for them.

6. Saint Otaku

I think that goes for about every gay man who has thoughts beyond the loins ^.^

7. drwinchester

drwinchester Guest

Yeah. My problem is I covet someone and end up either avoiding them or pushing them away. Worry no one's ever going to be attracted to me in the first place so however untrue that statement may be, I hate setting myself up for possible rejection. Yet I want relationships anyway. Go figure.

8. MilansMele

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

Aloha, Ben

Um... I think you're taking my suggestion a little too literally. By "script" I meant create a story line, (like Ben finds adventure on the road as he tours the American West) "plot," (he meets a guy who steals his heart away in the Pacific NW causing him to give up his vagabond ways and stay in what is the most romantic town in Washington State...) Anyway you get the idea... My suggestion was meant to have you conceptualize what would be your ideal romantic adventure and then put it out there. You'd be surprised at how these ideas can come true.

If your social anxiety problem is interfering with living your dreams, maybe you should ask a doctor about meds that can alleviate the problem. There are some good ones out there now.

Most important, please consider how you can shift your thinking from "Why can't real life be more like the movies?" to "How can I make my life like the movies?"

Get my drift?

Good luck to you.

Milan