1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gender roles in relationships...

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by wittyusername, Sep 7, 2013.

1. wittyusername

I wasn't sure where to put this, so if this is the wrong place please move it.

In light of recent events, I've been thinking a lot about relationships. I've always been very masculine. I dress in mostly guy clothes and I act more masculine than feminine in general. Until recently, I didn't realize that that might apply in relationships too.

I've been in a couple relationships with guys, but I feel...almost uncomfortable. Guys in a relationship are most always the ones who ask you out, pay for dates, opens doors for you, etc. I think that's sexist, which may be the reason I feel uncomfortable. But I think it's more than that. With romantic things too, like the guy brings you flowers or brings you on romantic dates, is the big spoon when cuddling, etc. In a "traditional" straight relationship, most of those the guy in the relationship generally does. But that's the thing. I almost feel like I want to do that. I want to bring someone flowers, and just generally be more masculine than a girl in a relationship wold be. I'd like to be a "gentleman", just not a man. And I'm starting to think that I might not be able to be comfortable in a relationship with a guy because of this.

So, I was just wondering, does anyone else feel like this? And do you think there are any guys that would accept a girlfriend acting out of traditional gender roles?

Thanks. :slight_smile:

2. Lipstick Leuger

Of course there are males that will have no problem with you not following traditional gender roles. When I dated males, I found out that there are actually many men who like to have someone bring them flowers, or ask them out or pay for dinner. The trick is to find them. Usually it is the ones that are most secure with themselves that are good with this. The younger generations of males seem to have no problem with it, so I would not even worry.

3. My current relationship is my first real one, and it has made me feel alot like you, only opposite. All my life I thought I was going to be the guy, because I am a guy (still unfortunately), but being in this relationship and giving me experience in the matter has taught me I like the opposite of what I thought I would. I want to be cuddled, I want to be brought the flowers (or Oreos would be better lol). But none of this comes as a surprise to me because I do want to be a woman, so.