1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

scared to see a therapist

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by soulodolo, Sep 9, 2013.

1. soulodolo

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    so Im being pressured by my family to go talk to someone because i have been really depressed lately. my family knows I'm gay and they have been pretty accepting. they are just worried about me because I've been so down. i have really low self esteem, no confidnece, and I barely go out with my friends anymore. the anxiety from being in the closet is ruining my life. I also think i am suffering from ptsd. i never really thought about that until i saw a post about it earlier but the more i think about it, something from my past is clearly haunting me. so I know I SHOULD go talk to someone, I'm just not a big fan of the idea. if you ask me it's like paying someone to be your friend and listen to your shit (not because they really care about you, they just want your $$$). Am I missing something? is there more to it? I am also scared to talk to someone about this kind of stuff. I have a lot of stuff to confess that I am really ashamed of and I'm nervous about telling a stranger. im also stressing out about finding the right therapist. I feel like I can't just tell ANYONE this stuff. I always hoped I could have someone special in my life to talk to about this stuff but that doesn't look like it's going to happen anytime soon. i dont want to have to keeping going from one therapist to another, wasting my dads money, until I find the right person. has anyone else ever felt this way. does talking to a therapist really help? will it make me happy again?

thanks for reading.

2. Jeneric

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Yes, talking to a therapist will help. I get the whole 'paying someone to be your friend' thing because I felt that way at first but it helps a lot. They're on your side. They listen. It's someone that won't tell you you're being stupid or try to story top you.

I'm sure there are a few that only do it for the money but most are in the profession because they genuinely want to help people. They can give you coping mechanisms and help you map out destructive thought patterns.

They won't magically make you happy again. In fact, after the first few sessions you'll probably feel like crap. But after a while you feel better. They don't fix things; they give you the tools so that you can fix things.

3. BenW

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    You might see if there is a specialty therapist or clinic for LGBT people nearby or within a reasonable driving distance from you.

4. cmarie

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    If you can, try to keep in mind that although therapists get paid for what they do, it doesn't mean that they don't care about what you're going through. Generally people who go into counselling as a profession are very caring people and are in it to help others as much as they can.
    It's definitely scary coming right out and talking about really personal issues to someone that you don't know at all, but I can pretty much guarantee they have heard all types of stories and talked to people from many different lifestyles and they aren't going to judge you. If you're more comfortable you can always tell them at the beginning that you're nervous about finding someone you're comfortable with and spend the first session just chatting with them and see if you feel you can trust them and if it's a good fit. You might even find it easier to talk about some things BECAUSE they are a stranger and they don't hold any biases about your situation because they don't know you.
    I've been to therapy before and I found it very helpful, of course it's not for everyone, but sometimes it can really help to just get everything off your chest and have an objective person give you some insight.
    I wish you the best of luck!!!

5. biggayguy

Getting a counselor that's a good fit helps a lot. I came out to one and he may as well have called me a sex offender. He worked with sex offenders in jail so he assumed I was one. He didn't last long. Just remember that you are the client. You can ask for someone else if you aren't feeling right about your therapist.

6. bingostring

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It is worth it .. and it is good your parents are supporting you with this idea. I'd definitely follow it up.

But for it to work well... you need a good choice of therapist so do your research and definitely meet one or two for a preliminary meeting.

You also need to be reassured about confidentiality for it to work.

Avoid ones with an agenda (affiliated to some church or other) and try to find one who works with LGBT people. Usually there's a CV on a website outlining what they do. And what therapeutic methods they work with. My own experience is working with gay male therapists leads to better connections. But thats just me. Good luck.

7. Ohhai

It's always scary. I've seen loads but whenever I see a new one, I get scared. You might find it helps. If it doesn't help, you've not lost anything.

8. soulodolo

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    thanks you all so much for the advice. I think it's time I start helping myself. that would make me and my family feel better. I guess once I find the right person and I feel comfortable with them it will work out. I just hate the process. I know it's not possible but I just want to feel better over night. anyways I really appreciate all of your responses I think I will start doing some more research.

9. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    If you are constantly depressed, then you should be seeing a counselor.

If you have a good one, you should feel relief slowly but surely.

If you don't, then find one you like. It's your life and your money.

As for being scary or unnerving, I understand. I've been there. I'm there right now.

10. Pocky

Yes, it's a daunting thing to begin therapy.

It actually took me years to go from keeping certain things to myself. There are things that have occurred in my life that I felt unimaginable shame about. However, the more I became familiar with the process and realising that confidentiality is extremely important to all therapists and medical professionals, I'm at a point now where I am always upfront and honest about my deepest personal issues - right from the start.

You won't feel that confident just yet, but when you do, it does speed up the process when you can just let it all out.

There will be times where you think you are wasting money or that you're just paying someone to care. However please know that it's not true. Even when you do feel like all you're doing is talking, over time subtle changes start to take place and a good therapist will remind you from time to time of the progress you have made.

You might need to 'shop around' but when you find the right therapist, it will be very helpful. As your Dad is willing to pay for your therapy, you have nothing to lose so don't waste the opportunity.

Here is a list of LGBT-issue therapists in Ontario (I assume Canada :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:)

Good luck :slight_smile:

11. Incognito10

Most mental health counselors go into the profession out of a desire to help others, not to merely get your money. Also, they've invested into an extensive education program to help people work through complex emotional and mental health issues and topics. No, they're not there to be your friend, that is not what your paying them for. They're there to help you work through those inner and outer conflicts and offer healthier alternatives to destructive patterns (i.e. depression, feeling like you have ptsd due to being in the closet). When depressed, or what ever our situation, our thinking is often not clear or optimistic, it is a good idea to seek that third party, objective view and guidance.

12. soulodolo

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    thanks for your input guys. I'm glad I'm not the only one who felt that way. I think it will be good for me to get everything off my chest and not be judged by what I have to say. I just think it will be a while before I am upfront and honest about my issues. it takes time for me to let anyone into my life in general. I'm not the best at making friends.

and I guess your right about people choosing this career because they want to help others. lately I've been thinking about going into that field because after everything ive been through and all the stories ive read on this forum, i want to do nothing but help people like me. but first i have to help myself. as scared as I am, I'm looking forward to making some progress. I just want to be happy. I don't want to be so negative all the time. I want to live like everyone else.

13. Pocky

That's really common. Sit in on a psych course at uni, so many people do go into the field because they've gone through tough times themselves.