1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

scared to go to first lgbt center event

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Ticklish Fish, Sep 10, 2013.

1. Ticklish Fish

so my university have this event that on one weekday every week of regular semester, people could bring lunch to eat and hang out.

I am thinking of going to one if I could finish my lab at 11am early.
    But I am just scared.

what if people I know from my old high school finds out? What if I get outed from some means I can't even think of? D: Or what if I got too awkward and shy? AHHH.

this is kind of a step for me. Medium step.

---------- Post added 10th Sep 2013 at 12:38 PM ----------

I would also like to ask, if anyone knows, what I should expect I guess?

2. Hefiel

Not sure what you should be expecting since these events vary greatly depending on who organizes them.

With that said, why would it matter if people from your old high school find out?

3. Ticklish Fish

god bless the spread of words lol. they probably know someone down the chain of people who knows my family eventually

4. lukeluvznicki13

You are lucky that there are events like that by you :slight_smile:

5. Hiems

I would ask the LGBT club if it has a confidentiality code, i.e. any information revealed by its members cannot be shared. The club at my university does so as a means of protecting members whom do not want peers, friends, what have you, to find out about their gender identity and/or sexual orientation.

6. Hefiel

I don't think you should restrain yourself under the idea that someone somewhere whom you don't want him to know might find out. Nor should you assume that the people who find out really care enough to start gossiping left and right. You're at university now, people are a little bit more grown-up and open-minded.

I don't recall exactly, but what do your parents think about homosexuality?

7. Pocky

I'll be your brother in solidarity.

There's this group I'm going to for the first time this weekend. Only known about it for two or three years :rolleyes:

Then as part of 'pride week' (which is a thing apparently), there's a talk going on at my uni about LGBT youth issues, presented by one of my lecturers.

If I manage to go to both, next week will be the gayest week of my life :icon_bigg

8. Acobi

Acobi Guest

Is this group thing out doors where bi-standards could see you all hanging out?

If it is indoors, or something I think you'd be fine, if anyone saw you they'd most likely be attending the event themselves right??

9. Ticklish Fish

well, my parents divorced so i only live with my mom now.
    though she's been quiet on her stance or relation with homosexuality...
    BUT I do remember when she brought me a chick fila dinner and ask my sister about kiss-in and stuff.. but that was years ago ._.

10. hitgirl

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Love it! Lol.

11. LILuke

I was terrified to go to a Pride Alliance meeting at my school, but once I did I'm so happy I went. Everyone there was so supportive and happy and...well, proud of who they were. I strongly advise that you go without any expectations and just make the most of it whatever happens - believe me when I say you will be amazed how good it feels to be around people who can empathize.