1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I want to be with a woman but some things are holding me back.

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by livinginacloud, Sep 10, 2013.

1. livinginacloud

Out Status:
    Some people
    Hey. I'm a 26 year old woman. I identify as queer. I thought I was a lesbian when I was younger, then in high school I starting dating men as well as women. After high school I got into a serious long term relationship with a man. We broke up and I spent some time being devastated and after a year I got into another serious long term relationship with a man. I haven't been with with another girl since high school.

I feel embarrassed because of my lack of knowledge about sex between women. In my earlier relationships with women I never really went all the way- I guess depending on how you look at it. I'm 26 years old and I feel like I would make a fool out of myself if I met someone I liked and wasn't a good lover and didn't know what to do. I have never been able to get off from oral sex, so I feel like I wouldn't know what she would want.

I think I kind of put the idea of women out my head after being hurt and bullied when I was younger. I had a crush on a girl and she would kiss me and hold hands with me. I thought she liked me, too. I wrote her a letter telling her my feelings for her and she passed it around the high school and made fun of me along with everyone else. It turned out she was just kissing me because she thought boys would like it. I had a serious girlfriend in high school and I thought it was love. We were official, had the label of girlfriends, went to prom together, etc. We were together for about a year and one day out of the blue she told me that she got back together with her male ex. She had cheated on me and started another relationship without even talking to me about ending ours. I guess she didn't think it was a 'real' relationship or something. But things that like hurt me really badly I think some of my fear of putting myself out there comes from those things.

I also have NO gaydar- and I feel really uncomfortable flirting with women unless I know for sure that they are gay. I'll see girls that I'm attracted to and I can't force myself to talk to them unless I know for sure. So a couple times over the past 3 or so years I've gotten the courage to go to a lesbian bar (there aren't many in my town). I am a femme and I like other femmes or soft butch types. i guess thats another issue because those types of girls didn't seem interested in me. I'm moving to a bigger city that is more gay friendly so I'm hoping that might make it easier- having a bigger selection.

I've been talking to a girl online who lives near me now. We have a ton in common and we've been really hitting it off. I'm ashamed of my inexperience at my age and it's held me back for years now. I want to put myself out there.

This has gotten pretty long so I'll end it here, but i would really appreciate any advice.

Thanks in advance :slight_smile:

2. livinginacloud

Out Status:
    Some people
    empty....... something. maybe if no one here can offer any idea you could point me in the direction of a somewhere else that maybe could. Possibly a forum that's just for women?

3. blond

First off i'm sorry for the trouble you went through.
    And you really shouldn't let that get to you especially now since you seem to have met a decent girl.
    As for feeling embarrassed don't be. I've never been in a relationship. So it could be far worse.

Back to more positive note you just need to get yourself out and doing more.

And good luck with the girl that you met!

4. FractiousJ

Out Status:
    Some people
    Until very recently I was completely inexperienced with women and I'm older than you. My girlfriend and i had talked about coming out and past relationships prior so she was well aware of the lack of experience.

I think as long as you aren't presenting yourself as something you're not you shouldn't worry about it.

Go for it! It's a lot of fun :grin:

5. GirlWhoWaited

I've never been with a girl and I'm 25. I mean, I've kissed a few, but nothing beyond. I honestly wouldn't care how experienced my partner was. Every person is different, anyway, so it's always a learning experience. :slight_smile:

6. livinginacloud

Out Status:
    Some people
    Thanks for the reassurance guys. I think it's a confidence thing in general. I'm going to keep talking to this girl and hopefully it'll go somewhere.

Frac- I see what you're saying about not pretending to be something I'm not. I don't know if I should talk to her about my situation beforehand. Like if we were to get into a sexual situation, to like warn her I don't really know what I'm doing or something. I feel like that would be really awkward and I wouldn't know how to say it.

And the oral sex thing. I'm all for giving it, but I have never enjoyed receiving it. Maybe it's because the few people who went down on me didn't know what they were doing, but I could never imagine have an orgasm from it. It's not very pleasurable at all for me. I'm interested and kind of wonder if maybe a woman who really knew what she was doing could get me off that way. If I couldn't get off that way or didn't really enjoy it I feel like that could maybe hurt someone's feelings.

Basically, I'm super nervous and way overthinking things. I don't know. This is exciting and scary at the same time.

7. bazinga91

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I have just realized who I am and before my present relationship I hardly had any experience aside from bad ones. I was with a few guys who really hurt me, emotionally and physically and I have major trust issues. I began to feel I was incapable of love and that no one could love me, and if they did I wouldn't allow them to. I didn't want to be hurt again. However, I let my guard down and let a beautiful woman into my life this summer. My girlfriend is amazing, and she accepts me for who I am and loves me all the same. I had no experience before her and I was terrified when it came to the bedroom but she understood. We talk and communicate and that is the key to the relationship. She loves me for who I am and Im proud to say that I am so in love with this girl. You will find that too, it comes out of no where and there are some people who will work to bring down the walls and they are the ones worth giving a chance too.. even when you have doubts, they will stay and fight for you. I wish you the best of luck and don't overthink it!

8. hitgirl

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I feel the same, having had only limited experience with women... I've been watching The L Word and the sex scenes in there are terrifying me, lol! No clue whether they're realistic or not, they don't seem it to me! Anyway, I think that if you meet someone you care about or love that they will be happy to 'teach you' - I know I would if it was me, and I'd be happy that my partner had waited for someone special rather than sleeping around to gain experience.