1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do you see any red flags in my dating site profile?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Techno Kid, Sep 11, 2013.

1. Techno Kid

Hey everyone! Since the age of 6 I have lived in the blank area and consider it home, but would really like to get out and move to a big city! Currently, I am completing my Office Administration deploma and will be finished it around New Years. I love learning new things so spend a lot of time watching documentary type programs, reading, and in self reflection. One of my favourite past-times is movies and the genres a tend to enjoy the most are sci-fi, musicals, and comedy. Outside of these inside-type interests I also like travel and going out to the cottage during the summer. I have a somewhat politically incorrect sense of humour so I like comedians such as George Carlin and Tim Minchin. So you all are aware, I would describe myself as bisexual, as of now. Since this site does not allow for that I put "interested in males" because I feel like I am Romantically Homosexual and Sexualy Bisexual. Thanks for reading everyone! : 3

Want to know more, ask! ^ ^ Also I like Doctor Who!!

Two favourite quotes:
    My country is the world, and my religion is to do good.
    -Thomas Paine

Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    -Arthur C. Clarke

*Edited for privacy on this site*

Thanks for any pointers, I would really like to find a boyfriend. :slight_smile:

2. scruffy_guy

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Looks pretty good to me. I'd probably send you a message if I came across that (assuming I liked your picture cause on dating sites I tend to be a big shallow jerk.. lol). Documentaries, george carlin, sci-fi, arthur c clarke are all big awesome plusses in my book.

Good luck dude! I've met some cool people online and I'm sure you will too.

Though it sounds like you live in a smaller city or town, so don't get too discouraged if you don't find anyone quickly. There's a reason all of us gays tend to migrate to the big cities - more progressive attitudes, and so that we can find each other, and have some goddamn choices in the dating pool!

Have fun.

3. Techno Kid

Aww thanks man, that's good to know and yes big cities have a lot more options in every aspect of life! lol

4. Carpe Noctem

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Seems nice, an interesting average guy who's open for a conversation. :slight_smile: Although on dating sites it's all about your picture, and that's why I dislike them--'

5. Techno Kid

Thanks for the complement! hehe Yeah not get many messages is making me feel inadequate somewhat.

6. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Sadly, the majority of gay dating sites aren't dating sites... they're hookup sites in disguise. So if there's a profile from someone that isn't in the area... many people won't answer because they're looking for something *now.* And if the profile doesn't give hints that the person is ready for sex *now*... many people will pass over it.

It's really messed up, but there are a lot of extremely shallow people that tend to hang out on most dating sites.

THe good news is... by writing the profile you did, you're effectively sending a "don't bother" message to all but the most persistent/desperate of the guys looking for hookups, so the responses you get are more likely to be authentic people genuinely interested in you.

7. Techno Kid

True unfortunately :/
    That's a good way to look at it!

8. scruffy_guy

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I did just think of a little constructive criticism.. perhaps try to add some humor? i think i'm always more likely to message someone who seems like a funny and/or happy person. get a picture where you are smiling, and maybe put a little more personality into the profile. All the stuff you mention is awesome and there are lots of people who will share your interests, but adding a dash or two more of personality might help out.

not that i'm a master at dating site profiles.. lol. i constantly change mine around trying different tactics when i'm active on sites like that.

also, don't be afraid to try the 'hook-up' apps like ******, ****, etc.. (edit: forgot those app names are censored on here, but i'm sure you know what i mean...) chip made a good point that there are lots of people on dating sites just looking to hook up, but in my personal experience, the opposite is also true - there are people on hook-up apps looking for dates! or at least, some of the same people who want to hook up are also totally down to go on a date instead. just cause someone is looking for one doesn't preclude the other. plus, sometimes an awesome relationship can start with a hook-up, so don't necessarily rule that out either (dunno if you did but just in case.. lol)

9. Techno Kid

Humour is a good idea, not sure how I would implement it right though... :/

No no it's cool, thanks for the input :slight_smile:

The thought of a hook-up just scares me, maybe because I've never really had one before. Thanks = )

10. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Stay away from the hookup apps. You won't find what you're looking for there. That's the voice of dozens of people I've talked to that have tried (sadly, in many cases, over and over and over) and never had success. Many people will *claim* they want to date, as they've figured out they can bed more people that way... but either their agenda is to have sex, or they want a relationship but are incapable of sustaining one.

Either way, the chances of finding a healthy relationship off of a hookup app are maybe 1 in 10000, based on the experiences of the many people I've talked to and worked with.

11. scruffy_guy

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I guess everyone has different experiences. I know a couple and have seen many people mention in online discussions that they met their long term partner through a hook up app. I remember being struck by how many people in a gay subreddit discussion on 'how they met their man' that I was following said that their long term thing started from a hook up app. It's just a convenient way to meet gay people who live near you.

I really disagree with this (what I perceive to be) cynical attitude that everyone on those things has some hidden 'agenda' to have sex because they are incapable of a relationship. I think most people who look for hookups are also completely open to having relationships. Most people are not that one dimensional. Wanting to hookup usually doesn't mean you are some damaged soul who can't form deep connections with people. I've been on more dates with guys who had no interest in hooking up on the first meeting through hook up apps (probably about 5) than I've had hookups ( 2 ), because that's what I went on there looking for. It's pretty easy to sort through the people who ONLY want sex. If they send you a picture of their penis or tell you exactly which sex acts they wanna do within the first few minutes of talking - they are probably only looking for sex. Plus, if you make it 100% clear you will not sleep with someone on the first date, anyone who's just looking for sex is going to skip your profile fast because there are tons of other guys on there willing to jump into bed with them.

But yeah TechnoBoy, hookups are scary, I agree! It's why I don't do it too often. Awkward. Too high of a chance of the chemistry being off. Awkward. Sometimes really sexy. Sometimes not. Sex with someone you are stoked about and dating is way better.