1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do I get over my fear of Religion ?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Beware Of You, Sep 11, 2013.

1. Beware Of You

So I used to go to a Catholic school and I was bullied there and now everyday there are Christians in the middle of Dublin saying we are going to Hell and the like.

Then you have Muslims who are saying the same,some Islamists think we should be killed.

All this makes me scared of religion, I have been asked to go to a Church service in college and I don't know if it will bring back bad memories.

I just avoid religion because it has hurt me, I don't even know what I believe in anymore

2. CupidBoy

CupidBoy Guest

Research it and understand that it's all nonsense.

3. Deaderpool2

absolutely. whatever truth their was in the religious texts has been altered by :***:rs to fit how they wanted people to live or do as they said, saying it was gods work or whoever the big cheese was. take adam and eve, eve was created from adam's rib making her inferior to adam. heck what about lillith, adams first wife who was sent to hell because she wanted to be the one on top during sex?
    in japanese mythology the two gods who created everything by birthing it had to get married three times because the woman proclaimed her vows first, resulting in monsterous children. its all shit trying to make males more dominant and keep women "in their place".
    the bible is all bollocks wrapped around a small section that proclaims that we should all love one another and how god loves us, which is some very dodgy love when you consider certain parts of the bible. Whoever heard of a father making his son offer up his child to prove his loyalty? okay he gave him a sheep to use in stead in the end but dear god that's not love, that's sick!
    my point is that maybe there is some god watching over us or whatever but the words people are preaching from a book have been rewritten so many times by people trying to fulfill their own agenda's that it shouldn't even be taken as seriously as it is when it comes to forbidding things.
    just take the message that we should all love one another, enjoy life and do the best we can to make sure those around us enjoy it too, making it even better for the next generation.

4. Carpe Noctem

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I don't know... You see religion is afraid of me, not the other way around.

5. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Maybe I'm in the minority, but the churches I've been to have been entirely about peace and love. Not once did they say anything about gayness as sin, or hell, or anything other than making the world a better place.

Not that religion is all sunshine and roses, because it makes people do terrible, terrible things. But it's the same thing as fearing every meal because people have choked to death. Just experience it with due caution and you'll be just fine. :wink:

6. bingostring

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    :tantrum: I have no time for religious institutions at all. They f*** up peoples minds and drive people to the closet and depression, cover up their own child abuse, and f*** up the world with wars. I can't relate ... and never will.

---------- Post added 11th Sep 2013 at 10:26 PM ----------

Oopp sorry that just slipped out ...

7. Gallatin

Please remember EC's rules regarding posting about religion, which can be found here. Also, let's please not derail this thread by turning it into a debate over religion, which is not what the OP asked for.

8. qwr42

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    hey posters, this guy wanted help on religion, debunking it is very unhelpful and mean.

just stay true to your core beliefs. and find whatever loopholes you can in your speech if you take the wrong side of an argument. say for instance, they ask you about gay rights or whatever and you are expected to take their side (assume agains in this example) and you don't, you can use your language to twist the truth a bit, so you don't come across as what you really mean. proper language is your friend.

that may be confusing, but in a conservative church where standing up for gays is unfavorable, ive found this very helpful. just stay true for your beliefs and let (whoever you believe in) take care of it.

9. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    "We are taught to love our neighbor. I'm taking it literally." :wink:

10. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I still have a fear of organized religion. Just the other day, I went to a Church with my friend that I knew was open and accepting. I nearly had a panic attack in the middle of the service.

I wouldn't go back to Church until you are ready to do so. If you rush the process of recovery, then there is a good chance that you'll just set yourself back.

Also, only a small minority of religious people cause the problems that we hear about the most. It's not like all Christians hate GSM people. We hear more about the bad side of religion than we hear about the good side.

11. Incognito10

In my case, I had to really turn inward and explore my inner thoughts feelings and also scientific data to determine whether I not I wanted to continue in religion (I was raised in a very Christian atmosphere). Ultimately, I decided I am an atheist. I also decided (there are others like minded i.e. the Unitarian Universalist's) that I will take the positive aspects of different religions and incorporate them in my life and use them as inspiration--I don't adhere to one religion and do not practice organized religion. I am a Unitarian Universalist and we meet every two weeks and basically mediatate on all that is good but there is not adherence to one religion and no one tells another what to believe. Ultimaltey, we want peace in our lives and to do good in this world. When I say I take positive aspects from different religions, I might take an inspiring verse, idea or poem and use it for inspiration; however, I do not take or believe in any supernatural.

Essentially, just explore yourself and practice what you believe. I never would have imagined as a child and teen that I would find myself as an atheist (and I am very content with it), so it just goes to show how important it is to think for ourselves and not just take what we're being given. I am not bashing any religion, but it seems so many people (including myself for a time), get caught up in such a narrow worldview merely because that is what our family has practiced and we never branch out and know or try to understand different perspectives.

If you do decide on going to a church, make sure it's one that is positive and will make you a better person and bring happiness to you and the world, not one that will cause fear and depression (I've spent too many years in that and would never want to return).

#11 Incognito10, Sep 12, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2013
  12. blueberrymuffin

You could just hate religion instead of fear it.

13. PyroSpark

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Agreed. Stop doing mental gymnastics to try and conserve it. Just let it go.