1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help/Advice forming a new LGBT group/center for youth

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Proud2Bhismom, Sep 15, 2013.

1. Proud2Bhismom

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    I have to say its great to get on here and see so much support for my son and myself and my family. Right now though I am ANGRY! I have found out that the area we live in for one is a large city but is pretty anti-gay, and two, there is NOTHING for GLBT teens!!! I am appalled!! Yes, there is a PFLAG group, but that doesn't help my son, that just helps me learn how to help him, I want something that he can go to to be with other teens who are GLBT or are questioning their orientation and can feel safe, comfortable and just hang out, have fun, interact and socialize with each other so maybe they don't feel so damn alone!!!! Sure there is stuff around for college age, adults, but nothing for young adults or teens...WTF!!!?????

So, of course, me being the over enthusiastic, sometimes spastic, go getter that I am...the first thing that popped into my head is...I AM GOING TO START SOMETHING!! If there isn't anything in the area for gay teens, I will start something FOR THEM!! If you don't like how something is, change it right? I don't like that there isn't anywhere for these kids to go. Of course I would have felt this way even if my son weren't gay, I just wasn't aware of it until now. so please don't think I am only jumping into this because I now have a gay son, I have always supported equal rights and feel that the GLBT is a very very important part of our society!!! I feel very very sad that I wasn't aware of this tragedy before. But yes, okay, back on track...LOL!!! I am outraged that my community is not open or supportive of our teen gay community, I feel these kids deserve a safe environment where they can go a few times a week to gather, talk, help each other on homework, get information, support, hell, even just play games and have fun. Hell I would even put together dances and mixers for them, parties even...a place where they can go to just be themselves and not have to hide who they are while in the safety and protection of those walls!! I do understand I am NOT qualified to do this, I mean on like a professional basis..doesn't that make sense??? I might be able to get a counselor to donate time though for those who need or want it...I also know that in this community we will face a lot of flak, ignorance will be very prominent and will rear its ugly head. I am prepared for that, I don't know if my son will be...but considering his strength and how much of a trail blazer he is, I think he would be proud to be a part of this as well.

Another thing....I have no idea where to start!!!!!!!! This is just an idea running through my mind, and maybe its the coffee that has me going so fast, I don't know! But I do feel strongly about this and would love to be able to do this not only for my son but for every one in this area that needs a positive environment! I don't know where to go or how to start to even get this idea running and off the ground if it were to start making it a reality! Maybe you guys have some ideas??? Or do you all think I am crazy and insane and only asking for trouble?

2. flymetothemoon

Re: My son just came out to me

I don't think you are crazy, I think it is amazing that you are so supportive of your son and want to make sure that others have a supportive environment as well. Maybe start by talking to some of the groups that do exist. Find out what kind of services they offer for college kids, parents, etc, and talk to them about where they host events, how they get the services they provide donated, and what kinds of things they would have liked as a teenager. From there, maybe you could start an occasional social thing and build to more? You might find others in the PFLAG group who would help as well.

3. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

With your permission, I'd like to break this last post off into a new thread because I think it's a bigger topic that could benefit a lot of people (plus, I think you could get a lot more visibility to the topic if it's split off). Would that be OK?

4. Proud2Bhismom

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight

Go for it!! I could use all the input I can get! I agree!

5. starfish

We have an organization in Austin called OutYouth which focuses on LGBT teens.

Out Youth

You might try contacting them. They may be able to give you some pointers on how to start something.

Also doesn't have a big setup either. Maybe just a meet up group for lgbt teens to get together and hang out and socialize. You could set up outings like going to a movie, or the zoo or something. Just a safe environment where the kids can make friends.

There is one groups that I am a member of that just focuses on doing geeky stuff. Like we get together and play games and argue about Star Trek. Even at my age it is nice to hang out with other queer folk who have the same interests I do.

6. Proud2Bhismom

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight

Yes I think that would be awesome, thank you for doing that!

7. Chip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    OK, I've moved the discussion to a new thread. :slight_smile:

8. Proud2Bhismom

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Thanks Chip :slight_smile: Appreciate the support. Now I just don't know how to get support in Central Oklahoma...Its going to be tough, I just read the Oklahoma LGBT Laws, so freaking sad!!! I can now understand why there isn't any support here, people are afraid! I found links to a very very sad story of a 19 year old boy who killed himself in 2010 over a stupid city hall meeting here that was just about trying to declare October LGBT History Month, clips of this same meeting are even on Youtube! I know it is important to change things, things HAVE to change, but I am just one person, I can't take on a town, much less a state! Hell, I am dumb as a box of rocks, I wouldn't even know where to start! Now, I am not saying I am backing down, I just don't know how to go about any of this, or to even start to change things. I mean to open up a center like this, or to do anything, wouldn't I have to get approval? How would I even get that in this place? Oklahoma doesn't even have hate crime laws!!! It is so sad! I want to see change, I want to see a difference, I want to help make a difference and help make that change, I just don't know how, or if it is even possible in such a backwoods, backwards, ignorant, closed minded area! ----Feeling a little annoyed, frustrated, and overwhelmed! lol

9. bazinga91

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    all it takes is one person to make a difference, you may not change the city or town but you will change that one kids life (most likely several kids lives) and that is truly amazing.. your support and enthusiasm is incredible you are a fantastic mom I hope that this all works out! best of luck!

10. Proud2Bhismom

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    That is my sincere hope, is that I can change the life of at least a few, if so, it will be worth it. Just to let them know they are free to be who they are, they have that RIGHT, everyone does. If helps them be more confident..that is all I want. My son and I decided it should be named "No Labels"...I LOVE it! He said that is because I have always told him there are no labels in our house! So...here is to hoping I can get "No Labels" off the ground!

11. Stridenttube

Stridenttube Guest

Yeah, Oklahoma isn't that great. Some parts aren't so bad. Idk how far away you are but Tulsa and Norman are pretty gay friendly. Sure you could find help there.

12. Proud2Bhismom

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    I actually live in Norman Stridenttube! I thought Norman was pretty gay friendly really. I used to work at Sitel where many many many LGBTs worked, in fact that is where I was first and widely introduced to this world...I remember being so fascinated!!! I LOVED it! Now, I have lost track of all of my old co-workers, no one to talk to and ask for help with my son....I do have an old boyfriend from high school that is gay...but he seems to not want to talk to me, maybe because he feels bad that I was his first and last girlfriend??? I don't know, like I care right? Anyways, I hadn't approached him on the subject of my son, I had found him several months ago and just dropped him a line on Facebook to say hi and I don't want to make him uncomfortable by writing again and saying "hey, have a gay son, any pointers?" And you would think with OU being right here there would be a bigger support system..right? I just can't find anything for teens, given that my son is 12...its not like he needs to be going to OU for support groups with the adults.
    Wow, I have wayyy too much coffee in me. Sorry! Why can't there be a mentor program for this?? lol! I just really want to find a way to not only help my son, but other kids in the area. If there is already something like that, then great, but if not...then something needs to be done. I know there is a larger group then just my son, and many others out there probably questioning it who don't feel comfortable going to family to ask questions. And some stuff I have read on the internet, even stuff geared for the teens and younger kids, is pretty "vulgar" and not really something I want my son reading..not that I am stupid enough to believe that he doesn't cuss when I am not around and so forth!! But I am not gonna hand him control of the internet and say here read this that has a lot of words in it that are very descriptive about body parts in crude slang words!! Sure..I use those words and I am not offended by those words, but he is 12 and I would like to protect him a little bit and not readily hand them over to him...if that makes sense?? I don't know...I think I just need to go to bed, lol...words are starting to blur together after reading so much stuff today!!

13. Stridenttube

Stridenttube Guest

Norman has tons of gay stuff for LGBT teens, the problem is that 12 is very young for anyone to come out and so finding a support system for him will be difficult. Wait until he gets a little older and it will become much easier for him to find other guys like him.

I live in that *other* college town, the orange and black one. There's not a whole lot of gay stuff here besides the college, consider you and your son lucky that you live in Norman.

14. Proud2Bhismom

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    I wish I could find it then! lol...so far PFLAG is all i have come up with and the one on OU...the "other" college town lol cute! I could care less between "OU" and "OSU" not a sports fan here! lol so you are safe with me :slight_smile:

Yeah I know 12 is early, but he still deserves to be with other people he can socialize with so he doesn't feel so alone and outcast...I want him to know he can be with other kids, and he really really wants other kids to be around. I just don't know how to find them! Its so frustrating! lol

15. blueberrymuffin

Hmm well, you should ask at PFLAG their suggestions, since they probably all have gay kids. Even if you started your own center thing - which i think is basically renting a place, making it kid friendly, and advertising it -, probably the kids who show up would be at least 14. I mean, there's no rule that he can't be around older kids, but I'm just saying. An alternative, this is unlikely, but there might be a GSA in middle school, or he could start one.

I don't know if it's close to you, but Tulsa and OKC has a few resources.

GAY LESBIAN BI YOUTH GROUP
    311 South Madison Avenue
    Tulsa, OK 74120-3208
    Phone: 918-587-1300

OKC YOUTH UNITED
    OKCYU
    The mission of Oklahoma City Youth United is to
    provide a safe, inclusive and affirming environment to
    youth, 14-20, of all genders a
    nd sexual orientations from
    the Oklahoma City metropolitan area.
    First Unitarian Church
    600 NW 13th Street
    Oklahoma City, OK 73103
    Email:
    [email protected]

OPENARMS YOUTH PROJECT
    Openarms Youth Project :: Home
    Openarms brings LGBTQ and allied youth together to
    build a peer-based community that empowers them to
    end isolation, create a progressive youth voice and
    increase well being and self-esteem.
    2015-B S. Lakewood Avenue
    Tulsa, OK 74112
    Phone/Hotline: 918-838-7104

YOUTH SERVICES OF TULSA –LGBTQ
    SUPPORT GROUP
    Youth Services of Tulsa - Home
    311 S. Madison Avenue
    Tulsa, OK 74120
    Phone: 918-582-0061

16. Proud2Bhismom

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Yeah thanks Blueberry, all pretty far away from me. And I don't think the school would be open to a GSA being started, and I am not sure he is ready for that anyways, he isn't out fully at school, only to friends. So that is another reason I was going to do something myself, so it wasn't directly on him. Yeah I had planned on talking to PFLAG people next month when they have their meeting since I was unable to make their meeting this month. It will all sort out, I just have to figure which way to go and how to get there lol! I feel like I am in a maze :slight_smile: I just know he is eager to be around others that he can relate to.

17. Mitchell

I think it's amazing what you're doing.

I tried going to such a group before, but my parents didn't like driving to the next town over, so I only got to go two or three times.

18. BryanM

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm definitely not an expert on the topic, but here's a few things that I do know about GSA's:

1. Unless your son is at a private school I believe, he has his first amendment constitutional right to assemble and create a GSA, AND have it treated like any other school club or organization. This has been backed in court numerous times.
    2. GSA's are confidential, so they cannot out your son being in a GSA without his permission, without getting in huge trouble.
    3. He can always start a GSA at his school, if he can find an advisor and get principal approval, which they must give, if everything is in order. You only need two members to start up a GSA.

The only problem about starting a GSA at age 12 is that most kids are either so deep in the closet they are scared to go to them, or they have not found their true sexuality yet, or haven't realized it yet.

Yeah, I think Oklahoma is ranked 50th when it comes to LGBT acceptance and such, so it doesn't really surprise me that Norman isn't that LGBT accepting. I wish things were better off there for you and your son than they are, though. :hug: Did you see if sexual orientation was included in the discrimination policy at his school? That would definitely be an indicator on how hard the school would oppose a GSA. I would definitely ask PFLAG for any suggestions, many of them are very knowledgeable when it comes to stuff like this. Hope this helped. :slight_smile:

19. Chip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The Sacramento LGBT center has a weekly group for teens 13-17. It meets in the evening once a week, and they get together, talk, do some sort of activity, and socialize. (They have a similar group for late teens, twentysomethings, and those in their 30s and beyond, as well as senior citizens.) You could model something like that.

One option you might consider is starting a Meetup.com group aimed at teens. You could talk to a local coffeehouse or cafe or something; many would love to have a group of a dozen people that come in weekly for a couple hours, as it's business for them. That way, you don't have any rental cost, people have a safe place to go that isn't at someone's house, so it's less threatening to go to, and it's easy to start it up.

Another is to talk to a local recreation or community center and see if they'd host a drop-in one day a week with board games or something.

You definitely want one or two older/adult chaperone types. At the Sacramento center, the leaders for the early teen group are in their later teens (closer to the age of the members, which makes them feel a little more comfortable.)

And I'm sure that the other PFLAG parents would be supportive of helping to start something, even if it's a drop-in group at a coffee shop.

20. bingostring

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I think there are some good starting suggestions above.

My first thought was: "precedents". ie: Find a successful LGBT group that already operates in another state, contact them, invite yourself along and sit down with their organisers for a couple of hours and pick their brains. Get suggestions, contacts, sources of further advice. That will save you a lot of false starts and should speed you along. It might mean some travelling but I can't help but feel it would be well worth it.

My second thought, already mentioned, is form an action group from those PFLAG people you are getting to know locally.

If it was over here (UK) I would go to the local authorities (social services) and find out what they can offer in terms of (i) premises (ii) further advice (iii) financial assistance .... but I do not know how that would work in the USA.

LGBT charities/ foundations can be researched

I really wish you well .. it is a fantastic project !!

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup: