1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

We must respect their...CHOICE???

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Werbinich, Sep 18, 2013.

1. Werbinich

One of my teachers said once that we should respect LGBT of their choice, I'm sure that she's not being homophobic, but just like one couldn't choose what he looks like, I'm sure neither could he choose whom he likes.

What is the consensus now? Choice or 'compulsory'? To me, I guess the factor, 'it's chosen for me' plays a larger part in my homosexuality. Yours?

2. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't think it's homophobia; he does want us to be respected. But he should be educated on the fact that the only choice is whether or not to accept it. For a straight person, she could choose to have gay relationships. But they wouldn't be fulfilling for her, and she would want to go back. Closeted gay people "choose" in a way to appear straight, and eventually go back to what they feel is more satisfying.

Just ask her "Do you remember choosing to be straight?" That will probably settle it. :wink:

3. blueberrymuffin

It does get annoying, but i learned to let it go. If it's not coming from a place of hate, it doesn't matter in the end.

4. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That's debatable though. Ignorance is still ignorance, and when passed on to others can lead to hatred. According to Richard Dawkins at least, this is how moderate religious beliefs produce fringe groups that blow up buildings. Of course we can't give a verbal beatdown every time somebody makes a misstep in speaking, but we should try to address misconceptions whenever possible.

5. etiggy

In the middle of moving to London.That's the plan.
    The only choice I ever had was to hide my sexuality and live a lie or accept myself and be what I really am. That's the only thing the word "choice" is appropriate for.

6. Ohhai

There's a difference between ignorance and homophobia...

7. Choirboy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    People used to refer to sexuality more in terms of a "choice" than an "orientation"--it's probably not a homophobic thing, just somewhat outdated terminology. I'd be tempted to gently point that out AFTER class, so you're not putting the teacher on the spot.

8. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    There is a choice, of course: the choice to accept or the choice to lie...for many blessed souls, the choice to lie is no choice at all.

9. Yeah this really drives me insane. No one can "choose" who they love or who they're attracted to, but what they can choose is to live life the way they want to, which is the "choice" that most of us have made. It just really sucks when people act like we don't have that right simply because it makes other people uncomfortable.

10. PyroSpark

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Agreed.

11. Werbinich

Hmm, however, homophobia is derived from ignorance. We know better...it's just hard to let people see that.

12. RedMage

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I think homophobia these days is less about fear and more about hate. Also regarding what your teacher said, she sees homosexuality as a choice but still respects the person and has nothing against them. Her telling the class to respect LGBT+ is not a wrong thing but a slight step in the right direction.

When it comes down to opinions no one really knows better or more than the other. When you start to constantly assume your a step above others, you're just going to make a bigger rift than fix anything.

13. Werbinich

Nah, by knowing better I only assume that we could see from a more objective perception, not like we're 'above' others, that'd be despisal to me and I don't like discrimination.