1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Have you ever felt this way?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by shamrockmut93, Sep 19, 2013.

1. Lately, I've been seeing a lot of gay couples at my school. They just look so happy together... I've been told myself that I'm really cute and/or attractive, but whenever I see these couples, the first thought that comes to mind is that I'm somehow not good enough, like in a way that can't be physically seen. I know it's not really true, and I know that I am good enough, but I always have this sense of inadequacy before I catch myself and remind myself that I know better than to think like that. Has anyone else ever felt like this?

2. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I jokingly say it's a bizarre sort of megalomania - where we think we're somehow that very special exception that everybody is worth of love, and that everybody can be found attractive. "Oh, people SAY that, but they don't know ME. They don't realize how UGLY and MESSED UP I am. It's obvious that nobody will ever be interested in ME."

Sorry - no. You're not that special. :slight_smile: That rule is for everybody. That doesn't mean that you'll automatically GET a boyfriend, of course. Just that the potential is there, and it usually does pay off when you take steps to make it pay off.

Lex

3. Yossarian

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

Are you serious? EVERYONE has felt like that at one time or another. Wondering if you are "adequate" implies that there is some kind of scale that you are being graded on, and that the person evaluating you has a better sense of who you are than YOU do. You are probably attractive to some people and less so to others, just like the rest of us, but nobody is in a position to say you are "inadequate"; only you can tell yourself that, so tell yourself "I'm OK". To paraphrase Henry Ford, "If you believe you are adequate, or believe you aren't, either way, you are right." So, believe you are OK, and go find someone who agrees with you and make another happy gay couple. :icon_wink