1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is it really wrong?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by igoloo2946, Sep 19, 2013.

1. igoloo2946

Hello there,

I've had this friend that I've known for about 2 years now and we are pretty tight (she's a girl so I'm not attracted to her). I had already come out to a some people already and they are very accepting and supportive. I hear people say though that its wrong to not tell your friends your gay and to keep it secret, which I've been doing to my friend. I am not scared that she wont be supportive or anything, but i just dont want to make our friendship akward and I don't think its neccesary. Thank you for listening.

2. Ridiculous

Nope, it's not wrong. You shouldn't tell anyone unless you are ready to and shouldn't feel obligated or pressured to come out before then. Often it is most difficult to come out to those that are closest to you, so it's completely understandable.

3. RainbowMan

Tell who you want to, when you want to. The only thing that I would see as "wrong" would be purposefully deceiving her, for example by inventing girlfriends that don't actually exist. However, if it's not relevant to your relationship with her (and that's a decision for you to make, not anyone else), there's no need to tell her.

Also - your orientation says Kinsey 2, however from this post and your saying "gay" in the orientation - I would think that would be more Kinsey 5 that you were going for :slight_smile:

4. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Who said it was wrong? Orientation is one's own personal business, not the right of the public to know. You come out on your own terms.

5. Jinkies

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Coming out is a personal thing, and it can be very difficult. If I came out to everyone on the face of the Earth, I'd be asking for death. However, if I came out to those who are more likely to not kill me or shun me for being who I am, then everyone can get along with their day all fine.

That goes for everyone, really. Coming out is a huge deal, and whoever you come out to tells them that you trust them that they won't backhand you. If you don't come out to someone, that says more about that person than it does you. It's not "I don't like you so I won't come out to you", it's more of "I'm not entirely sure, based on what I know about you, that you wouldn't hurt me for being different".

So take your time. Everyone has to. Everyone has their own pace.

6. LILuke

The only person who gets to tell you when it's time to come out and who to come out to is YOU. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. This is your business and you wait until you're good and ready before you tell anyone.