1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Alone on a Friday night...

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by shamrockmut93, Sep 20, 2013.

1. So I tried my best to reach out to my friends and see what they're up to with out sounding too needy or clingy, but I guess this is just one of those nights where they all want to do their own thing and it'd be weird if I tagged along. By now I kind of accepted the harsh reality that I'm just gonna have to sit in by myself tonight... I really do try my best to get out there and socialize, but sometimes my efforts aren't enough. I just wish I had a more solid group of friends who would enjoy my company in any situation, it seems like most people have that going for them.

2. Tyrael

Don't worry you're not the only one. I haven't got many friends as I spend most of my time at work, over time etc. I'm planning to change that now, make time for self improvement and exploring my newly discovered sexuality too! Just hang in there and keep putting yourself out there :slight_smile:

3. Well, I'll just keep doing what I've been doing and hope it gets me somewhere...

4. Tyrael

Why not try to find another group of friends, through some sort of activity you think you'd enjoy. Like a hobby you can join a group of people in. What takes your fancy?

5. Well, I've been trying that too... my luck just comes a little slow when it comes to things like this.

---------- Post added 20th Sep 2013 at 06:49 PM ----------

Don't get me wrong, I like the friends I have, but I'm just a little surprised at what's happening... and as I said, I really wished I had a stronger, more established friendship with someone, but that's so hard to come across, especially now.

6. AKTodd

Why 'especially now'?

7. Everyone's busy because we're all deeply involved with school, and I feel like most people tend to focus on the friends that they've had since freshman year rather than try to go out and meet new people. I was here freshman year, then I studied abroad for a year and came back... so much has changed, I come back and people I knew have all these friends that they've really bonded with and I'm just kind of by myself... I guess I just have to be more patient.

8. Yossarian

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Be patient for results while you are proactively trying to meet new people and restore old friendships to make good things happen for you.

9. That's kind of what I've been doing, except maybe without a whole lot of patience... I've been feeling restless for a while. Thanks for the advice though, it sounds really promising when you put it like that.

10. Pat

Pat

Ehh, it can be tough I guess. I'm definitely not the typical 23 year old. I don't get out much, but it's for a good reason. I don't drink or smoke so it does limit a lot of things that I can do with my friends, and I'm fine with that. I like our time together. It's usually one on one time and I can give advice and have clean, wholesome, sober times with them. I enjoy that waaaay more than seeing a side of my friends that I don't want to know about. I mean, shit. One of my best friends is a binge drinker/alcoholic.. and the other is a drug dealer in college lol. As long as they keep that shit away from me, we're good. I like having them around when they're going to be sober aka my kind of terms. It's okay to be at home. If you have some money, go out for a drink and just talk to the locals. Confidence is key. People will only be as comfortable with you as you are with yourself.

11. Now my roommate's awake, all hung-over. Usually he'd ask me what I did the night before but he knows damn well that I didn't do anything because they all ditched me. He told me that if they were going out he'd let me know, but I'm the only one in our circle of friends who doesn't have a fake I.D., so they were most likely hoping that I would conveniently just stay out of their way...

---------- Post added 21st Sep 2013 at 07:53 AM ----------

Sorry I'm just so mad right now... I don't f***ing deserve this, what have I ever done to them?

12. Etak

I get how you feel. All my best friends are the guys from my dojo, and I'm a fifteen year-old girl. Talk about feeling out of place. They do include me most of the time, but sometimes they'll lie and say they're not doing anything after practice, even though it's obvious that they're going drinking and don't want me along. Yeah, it hurts. But it's gotten a little bit better since started hanging out with a couple people closer to my age. I also befriended a 19 year old girl in the dojo, and she comes over to dinner a lot without the rest of the group. So I guess what I'm saying is to reach out. There's bound to be someone cool. Try looking around for a shy person that doesn't have many friends. My experiences with shy people have been that once they get to know you, they're great fun and really good friends. Good luck!