1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do I ask my parents for a new video game console?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by GayNerd, Sep 21, 2013.

1. GayNerd

Last night, I accidentally found out about the special Nintendo is having for the Wii U. If you have not heard about it, it is a Black Wii U, with "Golden" Zelda prints on it(i.e. Triforce, symbols, etc.(this might be wrong)), AND it comes with "The Legend of Zelda: The Wink Waker", for the Wii U. This is for $299.99. The original White Wii U is $299.99, while the original Black Wii U is $349.99.

There are 2 problems I'm facing:

1. I already own the Gamecube version of the Zelda game that comes with this Bundle. Would it be worth it to get this?

2. I know for sure that my brother would also chip in for paying for this. However, together, we only have about $100. This Special started yesterday, and I'm afraid that if I wait a while, there might not be any left soon. Knowing what I said before, it is inevitable that I need to ask my parents to help pay for it to ultimately get this Bundle. But how do I bring it up? What do I say? Before anyone says anything about my brother helping to ask, (I only have 1 brother and no sisters) he's at a Cross-Country Meet and won't be back in about 5-6 hours.

I would like any feedback that could help. :slight_smile:

2. GayNerd

Update: This is not a completely accurate estimate, but I'd say, for sure, my brother and I have, in total, at least, $120, and, at most, $140.

3. DannyBoi66

Universe, Milky Way, Solar System, Earth, England
    Well, you said You have the GameCube version. If you're willing, you could sell that for extra money, every little helps. I'm not really sure how to ask your parents about it, I guess you could slowly come into the topic of gaming, and then ask you're parents for a bit of both of their money and tell them that (again, if you're willing) you could sell some other games that you don't play with anymore.

Best I've got right now. :slight_smile: Good luck with that all.

4. GayNerd

I appreciate the advice, but my brother is on video game competition websites. He'd never let me sell the Gamecube version.

5. GayNerd

Update: I just found out that the game itself does not come in the Bundle. Only a Code for the Nintendo E-Shop, which then you pay $50 for the game. :frowning2: But this is still a great deal.

My Mom said that $300 is too much. I couldn't get the chance to tell her that she and my Dad could only pay about half of it. When I told my Dad about it he said maybe for Christmas, but after I showed him it's for a Limited Time, he said "Oh. Too bad." Again, I couldn't tell him half could be paid for by me and my brother. But I may just wait until my brother gets home to tell them everything.

What do you guys think I should do?

6. DannyBoi66

Don't forget to talk about everybody pitching in. I say be patient and think of when you DO get it (In these situations, I don't believe in 'ifs'). When you do talk bout pitching in, be realistic.

7. GayNerd

So including Tax, about $80 each?

8. DannyBoi66

Well, depending on how much everybody has individually. The end of the month is near, so if about $150 (I'm guessing, I'm bad with money :/) can be forked over for now, I think the bundle will not be stopped until a bit later. Most of the time, these 'limited time' offers last Very long.

9. GayNerd

Would this help?:

Me: $40-$50
    Brother: $70-$80
    *Mother: ?
    *Father: ?

*I know I shouldn't, but I will ONLY see how much money they have when I can check their Wallet and Purse without getting caught.

10. DannyBoi66

That helps a lot. :slight_smile: I'm guessing you may have enough money. I'd probably start talking AFTER you have an idea about the amount of money everybody has.

11. GayNerd

I might be able to see soon. But knowing my parents have a budget this September, it'll be close.

12. Ethan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The game is definitely in the bundle. You get a download code for it on the eShop, so while you won't have a case, disc, or physical manual, you will still own and be able to play the game.

While it doesn't seem like you would be able to sell the original Wind Waker on GCN, you probably shouldn't anyway because it's one of the rarer titles on the system and would be expensive to obtain again if you wanted to.

As for paying for it, once your brother comes home try sitting your family down and talking about paying for it together.

Maybe suggest your parents loaning you the money so you can have the system now and pay them back over a period of time.

13. GayNerd

1. Does the Download Code mean the game is free, or do I still have to pay for it?

2. I did not know it was so rare.

(stares into distance for 25.5 seconds)

3. I don't know about sitting them down for a big family meeting. I know it's appropriate, but the last time I sat my parents down, I didn't get a good response Coming Out of the Closet. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

4. It might work. But as my latest post, I believe latest post, said, my parents don't have much Leeway when it comes to Money this month. :frowning2:

14. Ethan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I guess you could say it's free.

You pay $299 for the Zelda-themed system which is bundled with a digital copy of Hyrule Historia and a download code for the game.

You do not pay any more to download the game or play it ever again.

Think of it like a winning ticket. You paid for the ticket and won so when you turn the ticket in for your prize they're not going to make you pay for the prize too. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

15. GayNerd

When you say "or play it ever again", what do you mean?

16. You won't have to pay anything to play it. You will always have it. A game code basically just means that you get a code that you can put in and then you own the game. It's just a digital copy you download instead of a disc or whatever.

17. GayNerd

Thanks. :slight_smile:

Update: My brother still isn't home. :frowning2:

Plus, I'm not saying anything more to my parents until we're together as a family, just so I don't ruin everything. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

18. robotman

Just ask... there is no way to ask, just do it, the worst your parents/family can say is no!!

19. GayNerd

Update: My brother still isn't back yet. The wait is Metaphorically killing me!

---------- Post added 21st Sep 2013 at 04:59 PM ----------

Update: I found out how much money my parents have:

Me: $40-$50
    Brother: $70-$80
    Mother: $1
    Father: $3

I know it does seem very small. But I do know that my parents have and use Credit Cards. But the amount of Money on them is not known, at least, to me.

20. Tyrael

I hate to be a buzz kill but, perhaps it is best to let this go for now and wait until christmas? Unless there is something else you have your eye on for christmas, in which case your parents will say "well we helped pay for the Wii U bundle so, no" and you'll be back where you started wanting something you can't have. Sometimes it's best to look at the big picture. Your dad already offered to get you it for christmas (despite it meaning it will cost more) so keep that in mind.

And you'll get to keep the cash you have now for something else.