1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Riding bike on road

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by TheLovelyAudrey, Sep 21, 2013.

1. I have just learned how to ride a bike and I own one now
    The thing is I want to start riding across more than my apartment district
    To ride it along with traffic
    I'm a bit nervous and scared of that prospect
    can I get any adive or guidance? thank you :slight_smile:

2. dfiant

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You are right to be nervous, cars are bigger than bikes, bikes have no protection, so even if you are doing the right thing, the car driver may not be.

I would google bike tracks or bike friendly foot paths and roads in your area and use them.

3. Dalmatian

Before getting into traffic, I would definitely advise getting some more experience. Since you've just learned it, try going for rides somewhere where there is no traffic, maybe around a lake, along a bike trail or simply along the road where there is a bike lane. Otherwise, maybe it would be better to use sidewalks than the actual road. In any case, be sure you feel safe on the bike itself (so that you feel sure and in command at any moment) and also that you have a good overview of the situation. If you still need to hold your view fixed at ten metres in front of you, you shouldn't go out on a road; you'll overlook something important.
    In the end, it's probably not a problem. Respect all traffic rules and be aware that you are the most vulnerable thing on the road (pedestrians included) and so be cautious even when the rules of the road are on your side.