1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I'd like to think it's my choice

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Indigo4135, Sep 22, 2013.

1. Indigo4135

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm in my junior year of hs and I'm still trying to figure out what I actually want to do after I graduate. Well, i know what i want to do, my mom just doesnt approve. Whenever people would ask me if I was going to college I'd say yes....bc it's what my mom wants..... I've been looking at colleges since sophomore year ..... Bc it's what my mom wants. I've even visited a few local colleges....bc I knew it would make my mother happy. Honestly I want to join the navy after high school. My mom, is the only one, out of 5 that went to a four year college ( she grew up in a lower class family and pretty much worked her way through college) . Anyways she wants me to 'experience' college life. Now, there is two of me (I'm a twin). Not really thrilled about how my college education would be payed for and that's not what's even bothering me. I've wanted to join the military since I was in junior high. At first I thought that my mom wouldn't mind until we had a conversation about it at the beginning of sophomore year. She actually got mad and TOLD me I was going to college and that I didn't really have a choice in the matter. The navy sends a lot of things to my house and it just makes her even more mad. I've tried to talk to her more about joining after high school but she is not having it. I feel like I might have brainwashed myself into thinking I wanted to go to college but I know now that I won't fare well. 1. I'd most likely end up choosing single housing bc I don't really like people that much ( I'm a bit of an introvert) 2. The idea of spending 4 more years in school does not excite me.....at all. 3. What if I don't like college? There is a 99.9 percent chance that I'd join after high school, the other percent, that one percent wants to go to college. There's like a small part of me that wants to go to college I mean, it's so small you can barely even see it. When I graduate ill only be 17 which means that I'll need her permission to join, however I turn 18 like a few weeks after. Now I really don't want to be a rebel and join just to piss her off bc that's not why I want to join . Granted I'm a smart kid, I'm in mostly honors and ap classes, I make straight a's.... And b's ( I'm a bit of a slacker/procrastinator but if I wanted to make straight a's I could do it), I do plenty of extra curricular activities including volunteering, and like one sport that doesn't actually involve running lol. I just can't fathom going to school for another four years to get a peice of paper that says 'I'm broke and in a crapload of debt but there's a possibility I'll get a well paying job' I've talked to 2 recruiters , 2 sailors 1 woman who was in army ROTC in college who told me to wait after college and then a guy in the army who told me he wished he would have joined after hs. My mom wants me to go after college bc I'd have a higher rank and better pay. Honestly rank and pay really doesn't enter into this I just want to be able to serve my country. I don't know what I'm gonna do, Im tired of pretending that I'm gonna go to college when I know that as soon as I'm given the chance I'll join right out of high school. I just don't know how to make my mom understand that it's not her decision on what I do after high school it's mine but she doesn't get it.