1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Unfair?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by charmander, Sep 23, 2013.

1. charmander

Hello Everybody!

So I Had Religious Studies today and I think I may have been treated rather unfairly.
    I don't pay attention to the bible usually (Atheist) and a few days ago I found out that it states that "Gays Should be Executed/Exiled" so that put me even further of it.
    So our teacher handed out bibles so we could research stuff but I didn't open mine...

Let's say my name is Gertrude cuz I don't wanna spill my irl name

He said "Gertrude...open your book"
    I said "I hope you understand but I'd rather not"
    He gave me a blank stare as I pushed it to the back of my desk.

Now my friend got excused from reading it because it "Scared him"

Me:"The Book states that I should be Killed, I'd rather not get further into it"
    Teacher:"Oh Yeah....and how exactly does it want you dead?"
    Me:"Because I'm Gay Sir"

I don't even need to explain my classmates reactions

I Got sent out of the classroom with a punishment exercise.

???????? I R CONFUSED???????????:dry:

2. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well if you're in "religious studies" and don't study religion, I'd say that is grounds for punishment. Reading the bible doesn't mean you have to believe in it, so to you it would just come off as fiction.

Did the teacher send you out for not reading though, or being gay? Oh and your friend's excuse sounds ridiculous.

3. blueberrymuffin

That was very brave of you...It was unfair but you probably should just stop going. Especially being atheist, it's disingenuous of you to be there. I'm sure it took the teacher for quite a shock as well, but he's gotta do that to protect his uh...business. They do this cause you might influence the other kids to stop going, or if you aren't punished, their parents will complain.

4. RedMage

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    You probably got sent out of class because you weren't doing the school work. Plus you stated you were atheist so I'm to assume that you wouldn't believe anything in the Bible, so really this should be like studying ancient mythology for you.

Since you were using the Bible for research (I'm going to assume to look up passages and determine their message/meaning) you're just looking up information from it for whatever you were doing.

5. blueberrymuffin

Yeah, but from his point of view it's like being Jewish and forced to read mein kampf. Plus it's one thing to be allowed to give intellectually honest answers like "Leviticus was written in the context of ritual impurities, and the ancient hebrews had no concept of homosexuality as we understand it today." It's another to just regurgitate basically hate speech, which i get the impression is all they'll be doing - "The bible says ------"

6. RedMage

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Uh, that's a pretty ridiculous comparison you made there. First of all the content in Mein Kampf is an autobiography and manifesto about Hilter's plan for the future. There's a legitimate reason for Jewish people to feel scared because those plans happened in WWII. Where as in this case the one passage he is talking about is a passage that details basic guidelines for the religion at that time.

Also, where in his post did it mention that they were regurgitating hate speech? All he said is that they were using the Bible for research and he didn't want to read it because earlier he (more the likely) read that line in Leviticus. So your just imposing the assumption that since it's a religious studies class that they are just teaching hate and you know not legitimately using it to do research for harmless things like "What is covenant? What is God's covenant with his people?", etc.

7. charmander

My Teacher Stated It was for Promoting Homosexuality and that the bible only speaks the truth...

8. redneck

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Sure does say that in Leviticus 20. But then again the same chapter says you can be put to death for cursing your parents, Funny thing is the book is so f***ed up it says if a man has sex with an animal the animal should be killed but if a woman does it both the animal and her should be killed.

There bible has many stupid reasons that people must be killed.
    My question is why did you take a religious studies class if your not willing to study religion?

Btw Almost anytime someone uses a quote from the bible thats taken out of context you can find a passage and take it out of context and argue right back at them. Hell the book is so full of contradictions that they cannot even keep their story straight for the first two chapters.

9. Dalmatian

Is it about studying religion as a concept or a particular religion (I assume Anglican Christianity?). If it's the former, his reaction is wrong, but you shouldn't have refused reading from the Bible. If it's the latter, why are you in that class? And in both cases, his comment from your last post is absolutely inappropriate.

But still, first, loads of respect for your courage, Rukai.
    Second, as Stephen Fry says: "You should try reading the Bible; it's hilarious" :slight_smile:
    Jokes aside, by studying religions, you get great insights into the human psychology. I'm a life-long atheist and I read the Bible relatively often, I sometimes watch masses (not just Christian) and I read theological books from time to time. It helps me understand why religions exist and what makes people believe.

10. blueberrymuffin

Nothing in the first paragraph is any different from the bible as relates to homosexuals. Passages like Levitcus 20:13 were used to justify burning people alive and various other tyrannical laws all the way up to the present. Just because it took longer for their agenda to spread, doesn't make it any more defensible. It's every bit as valid for gays to dislike/fear religious texts, because they are the entire reason persecution takes place. Your "greek mythology" analogy was more ridiculous because no one is being persecuted because of what Thor commanded. *Everyone* agrees that is myth.

I'm making that assumption because he's not a biblical scholar at an elite university. He's 13 and in a "bible study" class, aka "let's plagiarize one of many translations of an old ass book and put no thought into what we're doing." Lo and behold, his teacher said he was "promoting homosexuality," so yeah i'm going to stick with that assumption. Sure there may be harmless things mixed in there, i guess proof that even religion can't get everything wrong.

Anyway, again bravo to you Rukai for standing up for yourself :thumbsup:

#10 blueberrymuffin, Sep 24, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2013
  11. charmander

I'd Like to state I'm a second year in a Scottish school Which means 'till third year Religious studies is mandatory.

12. Werbinich

Two things I would like to share and mainly the reasons why I'm still a Christian despite that I'm gay:

1) the Bible is very ambiguous. What it states doesn't mean that it really works that way. You must think deeply into the words instead of deciphering them without its original purpose ore worse, without context.
    2) If God tells us that people would be sent to eternal damnation because of loving a person, heck, I'd give up Christianity since it clearly goes against morality and that's not God's characteristic.

13. blueberrymuffin

Well you could just use the bible's own words to bash the hell out of it. That's pretty horrendous now that i think of it that you pointed out the bible says you should be killed, then his response is you were "promoting homosexuality," by extension defending the "truth" that you should be killed. If i'm a parent i would go to the media or sue or call the cops or something. That's just insane.