1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to correct people who misgender me

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by FightingShadows, Sep 23, 2013.

1. FightingShadows

So, my passing I would say is about 50/50 over all. And I've been thinking about correcting the people who misgender me (keep in mind that i'm a cashier so these are strangers, not people I associate with daily) but I'm not sure how to exactly correct them. Saying "Actually, i'm a guy." seems...I dunno, kind of asshole-ish? I don't want to make it seem like i'm giving them attitude because the customer's that come through can be touchy. One tiny inflection and they're off complaining to the manager. So if anyone can think of any "clever" things to say, let me know.

2. Sully

I don't think anyone would complain about it. Most people would probably feel extremely awkward and embarrassed and probably leave ASAP.

3. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Idk, people generally don't like to be corrected unless they really want to know the truth. If it's idle conversation with a cashier, no offense, but people are just probably trying to be nice and gtfo.

It's harder for me to come up with ideas to identify yourself as male with visible "things" than for girls, though. It's not like you can stick a pink bow in your hair for a non-ambiguous gender item as a guy. :/

4. Just Jess

I usually just respond with body language when I'm out as me. Little things like I won't turn and look when someone says "sir" and I'll give people funny looks when they misgender me. But I life by Hanlon's Razor, "Never attribute to malice that which can be explained by ignorance". People aren't mean, they just don't get it.

It sounds like you're out at work? So people who know you can use male pronouns. That will honestly work better than anything if customers hear it.

Subtle usually works best I've found. People like feeling good about themselves, and knowing that they made you feel good. So I'll definitely flash people a smile whenever they gender me correctly.

Just never anything forced. If you come up with something clever to say, then you do. If you don't, "L'esprit d'escalier," just let it go. There'll be other times.

5. toushirojaylee

I feel you brother. Sometimes they still call me maa'm inspite of my guy appearance. (i wanna say hey, im a guy cant you see!)LOL but in the end I just walk away thinking I'll never see them again.

6. Boyfriend

Boyfriend Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Repeat them but with a questionmark and look surprised? They´ll realize they said something wrong.

Don´t you wear nametags? That could help. Maybe you can suggest that to yout boss?

7. FightingShadows

I do wear a nametag, but seeing how I go by Alex, people think it's AlexanDRA, not AlexanDER. There are some customer's who ask and I just say "It's just Alex." in case I don't pass to them.

---------- Post added 24th Sep 2013 at 08:49 PM ----------

Unfortunately, my friends at work are still having a hard time with pronouns. But I do agree that will help. I'll talk to some about it.

8. redneck

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    'I do wear a nametag, but seeing how I go by Alex, people think it's AlexanDRA, not AlexanDER. There are some customer's who ask and I just say "It's just Alex." in case I don't pass to them.

'
    Mabe you could get a new name tag that says 'Alexander'? Your friends who know you would still most likely still call you 'Alex' but it would be less ambiguous to those who don't really know you.

9. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm assuming it's them saying "miss" rather than "sir"? If so, you can just smile a bit and say "It's 'mister', actually."

Lex