1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I have to meet with my conservative pastor...

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by qwr42, Sep 26, 2013.

1. qwr42

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    so my dad found out i was gay a while ago, he was generally chill about it, but he wants me to talk to a conservative pastor tomorrow to "talk things over." .__.

i know this pastor, and i cant say i like him, and no doubt he will try to tell me im wrong and scum, but i know it isnt (even biblically). he's a really nice guy, but a very right wing christian who thinks society is getting worse and everyone's evil (exaggerated, but thats his personality for the most part).

i guess im looking for advice in how to keep head straight and such. help?
    (i am not looking for a religious debate, im looking for advice.)

2. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The only advice I can give you is to look him straight in the eye when he speaks to you; keep your body relaxed, upright and confident, exhibit no sign of shame, because you haven't any concerning your orientation. Remind him that you know who you are, that it is who you are, and that there is no turning back.

You are proud of who you are, and you are proud that you had the guts to come out and tell the world.

Once it is over, thank him for his time and leave. Preferably at a time of YOUR choosing.

3. qwr42

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    thanks, I'll keep all that in mind, though ill probably just stay till the end of the meeting so i dont seem rude, as politeness might help my cause (?).

really, my fear right now is that im either going to walk out frustrated, crushed, or both.
    can anyone help with that?

4. AKTodd

People can't crush you (or frustrate you even) unless you allow it. I'm going to assume that you're young enough that the idea of dealing with an adult is still somewhat intimidating. But don't let him intimidate you.

I've 'talked things over' with a former pastor before who thought I should go for reparative therapy (because he cared you see). By the time I was done with him he was nearly in tears. A few thoughts:

Being calmly dismissive goes a long way - 'Well, you're certainly entitled to your opinion." pretty much rejects any argument he can make. If he tries to blither on about 'God's will' or some such, point out that God presumably made you as you are and you see no reason to change just because it makes the pastor unhappy.

There are other things but they get progressively less nice. I'll assume you don't want to express utter contempt for this person and all they believe to their face.

Todd

5. josh9623

my advice (from experience) sit there pay attention and just let him humor you with his misquotations of bible verse.

PS: my experience was with one of the spokesmen for Exodus International it is possible to go through un-scaved

6. blueberrymuffin

Doesn't sound really nice to me, but Greatwhale is exactly right, you need to show confidence and try to not explode in anger. Likely he just wants to exert authority. If you are sent more than once, then you can get angry.

7. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Another echo for Greatwhale's comments.

A thought I try to hold onto in these sorts of situations (and often forget when I get most frustrated with someone): Everyone is doing the best they can, with what they have at that moment. The pastor doesn't want to be ignorant and bigoted. He doesn't intend to harm anyone. He just can't see that his views are outdated, ignorant, and hurtful, and unfortunately, he's likely too deeply immersed in his beliefs to be able to change his viewpoint.

So if you enter into the conversation with a mindset of compassion and empathy for his limited view of the world... I think you'll find it harder to be angry at him, and you'll also find it a lot easier to hear what he's saying through the lens of compassion, and realize that, while the words are full of ignorance, the intent behind it is, in fact, caring for you, just in a way that is so twisted and corrupted from the truth that it bears little relationship to the real truth.

8. Sully

I'm really jealous to be honest...I'd love the opportunity to tear a pastor a new arsehole. Pun somewhat intended....

Jokes aside though, I imagine I'd breeze in not a care in the world. Shake his hand and sit myself down like a king. Say 'I understand it has been brought to your attention that I'm gay?'. Oh the power of being able to make him feel immediately out of his depth as you're evidently completely comfortable with the subject. Then I'd start on how it's absolutely normal to be gay and that it's nothing more than natural variation, followed by a number of well researched scientific statistics.

Then I would move onto how flawed I believe religion is. And how outdated the beliefs are, drawing from some of the more idiotic biblical verses. All the while being completely dismissive of anything he had to say and more so not letting him get one word in! Then I would pluck out a cigarette from my pocket, place it in my lips, shake his hand, make stern eye contact and say 'Good day.', before breezing out of the room before he could even digest what transpired....

What a fantasy!

9. pippi

I think you should just walk into that meeting with your head held high. Be proud of who you are. Be polite to him, and listen, but don't allow him to let you feel bad, or feel shame for who you are. You don't deserve that. And you don't have to allow it. When the meeting is over, simply give him a handshake, thank him for his time and walk away feeling good about who you are. Best wishes!

10. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Give him a look like this (Thank you, Orson Welles!)

[​IMG]

Good luck! (*hug*)

11. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Pastor implies being pastoral. That is within his purview. Judging is not. That is God's job, for those of us who believe in God.

If the meeting has a judgmental tone, let the negativity go in one ear and out the other. The problem is that these sorts of interactions are often too memorable because of their unique nature.

12. Chip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    There's never a reason to be hurtful to someone who has spent their life trying to help others (whether or not their attempts are misguided), and the fantasy below wouldn't do anything to help him actually change his views. It would only reinforce his idea that gay men are misguided jerks.

13. qwr42

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    thank you all so much for being there for me <3

anyways just got home. the meeting was good (and nerve racking)
    im a bit frustrated because it felt like a one sided conversation (which I was expecting), but it went good. though, some if the arguments were a bit childish on both sides, but all went well. I'm not emotional wrecked so thats good.

i do have a feeling though that he's just going to keep trying, which i understand but dont welcome. the real problem though is an apathetic border because neither him nor my dad want to step into my situation. so I get upset at that, but I'm not going to let it get to me. only one more year in the house :slight_smile:

maybe one day they will realise that gays have morals too, and dont always end up raped in a ditch with seven STIs and four hundred partners, which both of them keep telling me ._.

14. Chip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Have you tried getting your dad to watch the Matthew Vines video (check Youtube) or For the Bible Tells Me So or Prayers for Bobby? Not that it will immediately change his mind, but it may make him think.

As for your pastor... there's no reason that I can see that you need ever talk to him again. He's had his say, you've had yours, and no good will come of further conversation. I think you can just say that to your dad or to the pastor and let it be.

15. qwr42

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    @chip, no, they refuse to watch any gay supporting things like that. though I got my mom to watch Prayers for a Bobby but she missed the point (though she understands me a little better now).

i agree fully, however i am still stuck under house rules for another year so if the pastor wants to talk my dad will probably make me talk.

16. MaybeJory

If you are forced to hear their side, then it's only fair for them to hear yours. I would insist on that point if they continue to try to "educate" you. Hopefully, even if they don't really change their minds, they can learn to agree to disagree and respect you.

I'm proud of you for going and standing up for yourself. You are very strong.

17. qwr42

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    @maybejory

i guess, but my parents are very "so it is written, so it shall be done" without thought or even logic. so I'll keep trying but my parents are both really stubborn about everything.

thanks, that means a lot, I'm not good at standing up for anything XD

18. Straight ally

Santiago de los caballeros, Dominican Republic
    I think you are managing this pretty well.

Well, this is annoying on their part, but is also a great opportunity for you. Do, just the contrary of what they expect of gay peopled. When having phisical intimacy, protect yourself, be very selective with your partners, quality over quantity, and be moral.

Hey! I will go further, if you are the kind of people who wants to help others, join some group that helps, i dont know... Poors, homeless, sick people, people who dont know how to read or something like that. Discover the huge awesome powers of contradicting the bad expectations others have of you... This paired with firmly (but gently, being gentle with those who oppose your views) defending your posture, will lead to demostrating that you can be both gay and a good person at the same time.

And of course, be happy, show them you can be happy too.

19. qwr42

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    @straight ally

thats sorta what i plan on doing (though i will probably hold off in sex till marriage to help my case.)

20. blueberrymuffin

^You don't have to go that far. Straight ally's advice is solid because you'll also be happier that way. If you meet some nice guy but you're not married, you should pursue that. You'll find a balance - living in a way that can inspire others and change their opinions on gays, but not sacrificing everything that will make you happy in the process. There's a big gap between safe private sex and lying in a ditch. You don't have to tell them about your sex life either. It's not their business.