1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Welfare Advisor

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Hexagon, Sep 27, 2013.

1. Hexagon

My college has a "welfare advisor", and I take that to mean s/he advises about benefits and housing etc. I'm currently facing some issues with housing and leaving home, as I live in a transphobic environment, and I'm considering going to the advisor and asking for some help. Unfortunately, this would mean coming out as trans to them, and my college isn't aware of my trans status. The service is supposed to be confidential, but I don't know how true that might be, and of course I risk the advisor being ignorant or outright transphobic. And yeah, honestly, I think I'd also have a problem with someone in the college knowing about my trans history, even if they do maintain confidentiality.

So yeah, opinions?

2. gibson234

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    If they say it's confidential unless you say your going to do something illegal or harm yourself they won't tell anyone. I think it's unlikely that a "welfare advisor" would be transphobic but then again I don't know where you live (Earth doesn't narrow it down much lol). But in all likely hood I think you can talk to them about it.

3. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This

4. Hexagon

But I doubt that this advisor would have ever met a trans person before. I don't see why they'd be more likely to not be transphobic. And if they've never met a trans person, why would they be able to help me anyway? And confidentiality is all very well when people are talking about common issues, but when it matters, I just don't see someone respecting it if they have a problem with transpeople.