1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Should I even try to date?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by thoughtbubble, Sep 29, 2013.

1. thoughtbubble

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Like my profile says I am 20 and living in the US. I am currently a full time student and have 2 jobs ( work about 65hrs a week) which I love. I have always been very focused in school. I'm the type of person with a 4.0 (to give you an idea). Lately I've gotten distracted, live has hit me. I don't do anything outside of school and work(how can I? I don't have time lol). So I decided it I would take an extra day off from work so I could see how it feels to be "normal" and care free. I went out with friends and had a great time. Came next week and everything was back to normal. I've had a taste of the good life and now I want more.

I am worried that if I try to go out or even try to date, I will fall behind in school. So I am thinking to just stay focused till I graduate and not even try to date.

Then I am thinking, "life isn't just work" I should live NOW. What if I just keep pushing love off till later and then I'll be a lonely 50year old...
    What is your opinion?

2. LD579

I think you're having the right mindset by wanting to start having more free time. Full time school AND 65 hours of work a week? That's insane. If you cut back on the work hours, you could both enjoy your life now as well as be less at risk of burnout, which can happen to anyone. As for dating... It's up to you. Maybe going out and just socializing instead of explicitly going out and dating could be a better mindset to go into, but in the end it's really up to you.

3. BiPenguin

Work now, play later. There is a lot of truth to that but you must allow yourself some free time you work and study to recoup or you'll burn yourself out. Focus but let allow yourself to know when to relax. Go out with friends, spend a weekend away with nature or wherever/whatever helps you to reconnect and relax.

4. Milhouse

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Geesh, I burnt myself out by working 25 hours a week with full-time classes, lol. I would literally be dead if I went for 65! Of course, I'm disabled and have had bouts of adrenal fatigue, so that's no surprise, heh.

I would say that finding a way to get a little more free time into your life can only be helpful. You need to be able to sleep, eat, work, learn, and still have at least a little time to give completely to yourself. Even if you don't use it towards dating, I can see it being a good thing. Ultimately though, it's up to you.

5. thoughtbubble

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Haha I usually have to sacrifice eating/sleeping in order to keep up with school. I love both jobs, which makes leaving one a hard choice. Thanks for the advice:slight_smile:

6. LD579

That makes it all the more clearer that you need to lessen up. Eating and sleeping are necessities of life. Don't compromise them too much or too often =/ Would it be possible to just work less hours at both jobs? It'd be good to look at your options here, with the goal being for you to attain more free hours and more downtime.

#6 LD579, Sep 29, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2013