1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Raising money to see my partner

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Daydreamer1, Sep 30, 2013.

1. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Pretty much since I was in the hospital back in June, my partner and I were in talks about how to get money together so we can see each other at least once before the year is out. My mother suggested that instead of him coming up for say two weeks for winter break, why not come up here for Thanksgiving break and leave after New Years so he's getting the most out of the plane ticket fare. I would be flying down to see him as we originally planned since it's more convenient, but his mother flat out said no (despite asking him why I'm not the one coming down to stay last night) and they've made it clear that they don't want me there anyway.

Okay, enough blabbering. Basically I want to know if anyone has ideas on how I can get some cash together to get him to come up here. Currently, I don't think I'll be able to hold down a part-tiime/seasonal job and I'm going to start going to the local plasma center to get started. It's not much, but it's something. Also, I might turn to eBay and Craigslist again. Some stuff shouldn't be hard to get rid of like old TVs around the house (if we can repair the flat screen money shouldn't be an issue) and my pool table. But, I have some collectable stuff, some of it signed, and I don't know where to go to find a price range to sell them or where to go to get stuff authenticated and valued (especially sports memorabilia). I also have an old laptop, but the battery is very weak and the hard drive is shot (I suppose) so I don't know if it's even worth anything even if it's just for parts.

Any advice would be wonderful. Pretty much we're leaning on each other to get the money because his family isn't supportive and I don't know where my family is on any of this as far as money is concerned. As it stands, if I am able to get him up here for Thanksgiving, we only have eight weeks to do this.

Thanks.

2. Joey4

Why can't you hold down a seasonal job?

3. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Mainly because I have a negative view of the workplace, mainly due to my horrid experiences in the workplace. There's other factors too, like transportation and hours among other things.

4. Joey4

So what? You're never going to have a job ever because you have a negative outlook on the workforce?

I could understand transportation issues. "Among other things" sounds like an added reason for which you have no answer.

This is the most nonsense I'll read this week, hopefully. Go out and get a job and grow up. You're 19 and I'm sure your parents would appreciate the help financially.

5. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanks for that.

That would be so easy to get to work if I still my damn license, my fucking car (which I had to sell to help pay for bills around the house) and money for fucking gas. Yeah, because it's the 90s and gas is still $1.50 a gallon and it's not like my entire fucking paycheck would be going towards gas money to get from place to place or that my anxiety fucking HINDERS me from being near the expressway which is the only way to get anywhere in this fucking town. Not to mention the other means I have for making money is through designing products and I won't be seeing a check for months due to site changes with getting paid.

Yeah, because it's just that fucking easy. Thanks.

#5 Daydreamer1, Sep 30, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2013
  6. Joey4

Dude. Get off it.

Everyone has hardships, everybody has to work. I don't know what's going on with your license. You didn't explain that very well. Why you would sell the thing you need that gets you to the place that makes you money is beyond me.

Fuel is expensive, everyone knows. You might spend your pay check going to and coming from, but if you put yourself out there in the world, you may meet someone who knows about a job you can work that may pay you more money.

You want to fly your boyfriend up so you're going to sell your possessions on craigslist and eBay? What happens when you need more money and you've already sold all your things to pay for a plane ticket and you have nothing left to sell?

You have to think ahead, dude. You really are living in a dream world.

"The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph." - Thomas Paine