1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Procrastination.

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Mysz, Oct 1, 2013.

1. Mysz

To all the professional procrastinators out there: how do you motivate yourself to do work? I've got so much to do, and a huge test in two days, but I can't seem to start studying and stay studying. :shrug:

2. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Looking at the whole picture is overwhelming, just focus on that one page you have to read, then go on to the next. Try to imagine the next physical action you need to undertake to get started, and imagine that you have to do it now.

(oh, and get off the internet!)

3. Nick07

LOL, you are no fun, if there wasn't the internet, there would be no procrastination :grin:

I usually set a time when I want to start working on the task and also when I will take a break. It helps me to stay focused.

4. Chels

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    No TV, no music, no internet, and I have to force myself to get stuff done.

I try to think of the consequences and, if they're not serious/bad enough, I try to make them worse. That usually gets me working.

5. Joey4

Leave the house, go to your library and surround yourself with other people who appear to be working.

Works every time.

6. Mysz

Setting 4 as my "stop time" worked well, gave me something to look forward to :grin:
    Thank you for the tips. The consequences are pretty scary, and motivating.

7. newfish

An excellent program is self control, although I think it's only for macs. You can ban certain websites for a specified amount of time, or use a whitelist to ban everything on the internet except for certain specified sites. It cannot be removed early without going into Terminal, although you might want to allow those instructions in case of internet emergency.