1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My letter regarding Marriage Equality to my local newspaper

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by BiPenguin, Oct 2, 2013.

1. BiPenguin

During the recent Australian Federal election and afterwards, I have been reading letters to the local newspaper arguing against 'Marriage Equality'. Each and ever argument has really about them projecting them own insecurities and superiority complexes such as the bloke wrote about rights for the LGBT Community is unnecessary as they are a minority.

I do not know if they will print my letter I emailed to them on, 27 September(2013) so I will just have to wait and see. This is what I wrote;

2. blueberrymuffin

Good for you for speaking up. That letter you mentioned "They are a minority so who cares," really rankles me. It's like saying "People named Scott are a minority, so they should have no rights."

I was thinking today how people in past generations had to be incredibly strong just to survive. A lot of us even today have it bad as teenagers, but for that to continue well into adulthood, i can't imagine. You've certainly earned the right to be heard on this, far more than some bigots who all these years later want to continue oppressing. Your letter has that personal touch, mixed with logical arguments, and is well written. Hope it gets published so it can change minds on this.