1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

20 years old and still single :/

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by shamrockmut93, Oct 4, 2013.

1. I know I shouldn't dwell on it too much, but it bothers me from time to time. I know I'm still young and all, but what gets me down is that all my friends have been in relationships before, even the gay ones. They all make it look so easy... it just makes me feel like I'm not good enough, like other gay guys usually aren't attracted to me for whatever reason. It doesn't make any sense, my friends tell me I'm good-looking all the time. Yeah, I'm no super-model, but I'm still decently attractive. The only people who are attracted to me are either girls who don't know I'm gay, or really weird guys, and occasionally some guy checks me out but I find out he's taken when I talk to his friends... I've just been feeling so SOL lately, I see other couples walking around all the time and it makes me feel like shit. I just don't know what I'm doing wrong, do I really just have bad luck?

2. grahamt

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hey,

I'm 20, in my third year of university, and I'm in literally the EXACT same situation, so I think I know completely how you feel. I think I'm a decently attractive guy as well, but nothing has ever really worked out with anybody, ever. Nothing has ever happened with the guys I've been interested in (they're either taken, hung up on someone else, closeted, not interested etc) and ALL the guys who have ever shown interest in me I just don't have feelings for. It drives me insane and sometimes I get really upset about it... And it certainly can take a toll on the self-esteem. But I know I'm still young and it will just be a matter of time, and hopefully it will be worth the wait when it comes. We aren't settling. Anyways, just know you are not alone in your situation... I'm sure something will happen soon, for both of us. <3

Sincerely,
    A kindred spirit

3. Aw, if only I knew you in real life... I hope we'll find our respective significant others soon.

4. Sully

I'm 20 as well and in the same situation. I always think that it might be up to me to initiate something, we can't just sit back and expect a lovely guy to stride into a our class sit down and ask us out! It doesn't often work that way!

5. monotone

I'm 22 and in this situation, haha.

6. Milhouse

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I am 25 and have never been part of a couple. I've had to watch other people forge their ways and get into relationships and meeting people, make friends. For years, I didn't even have friends. When I was 20, I was in my room all the time imagining I was out there thriving like everyone else.

Now, me being disabled and having some additional difficulties (emotional neglect, significant social anxiety, etc), certainly didn't make my path very easy by any means. Perhaps I'm not the best one to go off of, but I think you have a lot of potential to find the right person one of these days. You have plenty of years ahead of you and there are a lot of people out there in this world, even if you don't know them yet.

Jealousy and loneliness is a dangerous combination, and one that I deal with a lot myself. I may be a bit screwed given all the problems I was born with, but I'm sure you'll be able to find someone one of these days. Good luck on the search. :slight_smile:

7. fortheloveoflez

I'm a 21 year old lesbian. I can understand your situation, I do feel really lonely from time to time. Generally, I get hit on by men or by women I'm not attracted to. Moreso, though by men. I realized that part of the problem is just the fact that I'M picky.....now imagine when you have two picky girls dating one another...what are the chances that a relationship will come out of that? I've tried to lower my standards but even then....I get a bit unhappy when I'm dating since I feel like a lot of the time I just "settle". Then of course it's totally wrong to lead people on so we shouldn't do that either.

It's a tight rope to walk on......some times I wish I was interested in men, it would make my life easier....

8. LILuke

Nothing wrong with being twenty and single, I should know. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: