1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My beloved cat might be dying! I feel awful about euthanasia!

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Sully, Oct 5, 2013.

1. Sully

My gorgeous childhood cat I think is coming to the end of his life. He was at the vet over night with a temperature and dehydrated. The tests they did came back clear but they still suspect it could be something more insidious like cancer, hopefully it's just a virus and he'll be fine for a couple more years although he's about 14-15.

He's been the most gorgeous cat, and anyone who has had a cat will know how much personality they have and how much they become part of the family. He might be fine for a while longer, but the end is obviously within the not-to-distant future.

To be honest. I'm not worried about him dying, although it will be awful, I realise everything dies. I've grown up with lots of pet (from farm animal pets through to temporary pet spiders :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:), a number of which have had to be euthanized.

This one seems so much worse though! I just want him to die peacefully in his sleep (what a dream!), I really can't handle the idea of having to go the vet with him if he's suffering, and get him put down! I don't want him to be in pain and fear and look into his eyes as he falls asleep and dies! I don't want to be responsible for that!

I can't even find solace in the idea that it'll be 'putting it out of its misery'.

HOLY SHIT! I'm getting all teary and it's not even happening. Far out I'm so attached to my pets it's ridiculous!

2. bingostring

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    i'm a complete cat addict and I hope things turn out well.
    He may have a bladder infection or something easily treatable. I do hope he's OK.

(*hug*)(*hug*)(*hug*)

3. Sully

It might not be anything. This has got me thinking though. I just realised how much of a love I have for my pets, but I also plan on moving out of home in about 6 months, and by then chances are I'll only have one cat left, and in a weird way he's like my best friend (sounds ridiculous! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:) and how the hell do I just move out a leave him alone with my mum who isn't around to give him the love and attention I give him!

URGH!!!!!!!!

And of course the first time I've actually cried in YEARS was just then thinking about my cats whilst watching peoples videos on youtube of their cats last moments. What is happening to me :/

4. bingostring

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yes.. when I left home I had to leave my cat with my mother :tears:
    but maybe you could take him with you ??

5. Double Eagle

Double Eagle Guest

My daughters cat is getting really old...What to feel?

---------- Post added 5th Oct 2013 at 07:56 AM ----------

He has already had a stroke. His name is George and he holds his head off to one side due to the stroke. Him and his sister Bridget are about 17 or so and it is awfully hard!

6. Silver Sparrow

I can't really tell you how to deal, because the grieving process is very individual. THere is a site called the rainbow bridge, where you can get in touch with other people going through the same process as you. We had to put my pet rabbit down when she was about a year old, and it was really hard.