1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Confused as to what people refer to as a phase.

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by MinusK, Oct 8, 2013.

1. MinusK

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So there's something I don't get about teenage years and homosexuality. What do people mean when they refer to a phase? I mean I know what a phase is, but is it when someone is bi-curious or can they completely disregard the opposite sex for a while?

My problem is I'm a few months from 16 and I'm gay, but my family sort of believe it's a phase. I don't think of it as such, I find no sexual appeal in women whatsoever and haven't for ages, but I'm not sure if I could still be in a phase or if that's only with bi-curious people. Could someone more experienced shed some light for me?

2. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    When they say a phase they literally mean "Ah he'll grow out of it, he's just not getting any action from the girls".

It's as simple as that, they assume your brain is just tricking you for a bit for attention or out of boredom or because you haven't met the right girl.

3. LILuke

Some teens experiment sexually with members of the same sex without any actual romantic feelings there - which is why many people think that teenagers who come out are "just going through a phase" where they're curious about such things. You seem to have a firm handle on your feelings though, so I would think that you should try to explain to your parents that this isn't a phase, it's just a part of who you are.

Best of luck!

4. MinusK

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Ah, that makes sense, thanks for the help! I'll try and sit down with them to explain it, they're fine with me being gay but I don't think they know too much about it either. Thanks again!

5. LILuke

Best of luck!