1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I think I have OCD

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by ChromeNerd, Oct 9, 2013.

1. ChromeNerd

Out Status:
    A few people
    I have had many OCD-like obsessions, one of them being related to my sexual orientation. I have a history of only being attracted to girls. When I was fourteen I came out to my mom and a few other people as a lesbian. No one believed me, so I began trying to prove to myself that I wasn't straight. This backfired of course.

This obsession escalated and I was scared that I was attracted to my family members. I know that I post too much here. I think it's caused by OCD.

2. laut

Out Status:
    A few people
    OCD involves obsessions (ideas that you can't get out of your head, that are unpleasant and unwanted) and compulsions (things you feel you have to do to prevent the obsessive thought from happening). From what you've written, it doesn't sound anything like OCD.

3. ChromeNerd

Out Status:
    A few people
    I think I do have it. I just didn't mention too many details because I don't want to write a novel and have no replies. Maybe I should mention one of my non-sexual obsessions.

In the past I used to obsess about whether my glasses prescription was correct. I used to check if they were really helping me by taking them on and off. I constantly google searched signs of your glasses prescription being wrong. I also tortured people on forums by asking if they think my glasses prescription is incorrect.

I'm glad this obsession is over, but I still have to deal with other obsessions.

4. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's important not to self-diagnose, especially with something as serious as OCD. While the symptoms you describe could be OCD, only a qualified practitioner can do the proper evaluation to determine if that's the case.

If you believe you have OCD, you really should see a psychologist and get a proper work-up. There are many effective treatments for these sorts of issues and you owe it to yourself to get properly evaluated so you can determine what's going on and get proper treatment.

5. laut

Out Status:
    A few people
    Ah ok, I see your point more now. I agree with Chip, if it's really worrying you, go see a professional if you can.

6. ChromeNerd

Out Status:
    A few people
    I know that I shouldn't self-diagnose. I've been officially diagnosed with a few related conditions, so I have reasons to suspect that I have OCD. Another reason I susupect OCD is because no matter how much I post I just can't feel satisfied with any answer.