1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Public Speaking

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Typhoon, Oct 10, 2013.

1. Typhoon

Typhoon Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Most of you probably will laugh at me after they've read this, but the kind of public speaking I'm referring to doesn't involve hundreds of people, but simply around 30 colleagues of mine. We basically have a five-minute presentation, where we are in groups of two and each has two and a half minutes to discuss a topic.

Unfortunately for me, to stand up and speak up in front of other people, it is something which I just cannot do. I know everything that needs to be said but my tongue becomes dry and weird noises start coming out like ''errrrr...'', not even going to go through all the stuttering. I just can't do this.

What I face in about two weeks time is something I'm dreading too much (it's not graded or anything) but losing face, embarrassing myself is causing me too much strain. The lecturer made us introduce ourselves and stand up whilst doing so. I introduced myself in about less than ten seconds and I was shaking like a leaf throughout. People turning to look at me made it even worse, I got that feeling that I'm on stage, in the spotlight and I just couldn't handle it.

I honestly don't know what to do. I've had oral presentations in the past, and I humiliated myself. I know other people have anxiety problems in public speaking, but personally I'm going way overboard on mine. I'm either going to run out of the room or faint, I won't be able to speak. I''m considering looking for confidence-boosting drugs, not sure how to get my hands on them.

2. AKTodd

I doubt many people will laugh at you actually. In my experience public speaking is something that many/most people find terrifying. IIRC there are stats to back this up as well.

Anyway, re your situation...would it help if you just focused on one person in the group and basically spoke to them (at least in your mind) while tuning everyone else out?

Beyond that, I'd suggest doing some online research on fear of public speaking and methods to overcome it. I suspect you will find a fair bit of info on this.

Hope this helps,

Todd

3. GirlWhoWaited

First piece of advice: Whatever you do, don't picture them in their underwear.
    Second piece of advice: Practice in advance (preferably in front of friends, and take it one sentence at a time. Pick a spot just above the heads of the back row and keep your eyes there. Or, pick out a colleague you're comfortable with, tell him or her about your phobia, and focus on them. Talk to them, and forget everyone else is there.

I used to suffer from stage fright too. So bad that I shook, and choked, and had to go to Baskin Robbins to eat my feelings afterward. Worst part was, I was a theatre major. So these are the things I used to get me through. Ten seconds of courage at a time. :slight_smile:

4. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    For what it's worth, public speaking is recognized as one of the single biggest fears of the population at large, so you're far from alone. It is, however, one of those things that you get over fairly quickly if you plunge in and do it.

If you're going to have to do this sort of thing regularly for your employment (or other reasons), I would very strongly recommend finding a "Toastmasters" group (which is not a group that makes toast for breakfast!) and attend a few meetings. It's an amazing group for people that want to learn to be better speakers, with a lot of mutual support and encouragement. Usually costs only a couple few bucks per meeting.

5. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I overcame most of my public speaking woes by preparation. If you are the master of your topic, no amount of nerves can stop you. Practice until you remember the order of your points well, and can eliminate most "umms" etc. from your speech. At that point it's all about growing a pair and getting up there. :slight_smile:

6. TwoMethod

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    YES. This is what I was going to come here to say. Toastmasters is brilliant. One of my Dad's friends used break out in a sweat when he had to speak in front of people. Two years after joining Toastmasters, he became president of his Rotary Club, which meant he had to speak every week in front of about sixty people.

This is your best bet. And it's not just public speaking... it's public speaking for people who are very nervous about public speaking.

7. MinusK

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Tip: Don't get stressed about stuttering or mispronouncing words. It can be easy but it's not too big of a deal.
    My tactic is if I say something wrong, then to instantly chuckle or apologise for not being able to speak :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Like this:
    "So imperta- impertna- sorry, I, can't speak for some reason, hah, uh, impertinent..."

8. bingostring

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Are you allowed notes or prompt cards?
    Most of the stress is about what you are meant to say and in what order