1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to get over social anxiety?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by soundandfury, Oct 13, 2013.

1. soundandfury

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    So I've been trying (and failing) to work up the courage to ask a girl out. I'm almost sure she likes me too, but my anxiety is putting irrational scenarios in my head. I've allowed my fears of rejection and judgment to rule my life for too long, and I'm struggling to find a way to get over them. Any advice?

2. Emberblaze

I understand your anxiety, I can barley make eye contact with people sometimes. But this is how I personally get over it:

I do all in my power to make sure the recipient can't tell that I'm intimidated by conversation. Most of the time I do this by overpowering them with even more eye contact than they give (heh, but I don't get creepy with it). Kinda a weird method, but, eh

3. gibson234

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Try and find a time when you two are alone for a long period of time and work your way into it. Maybe mention that your gay or ask if she gay (which I know is hard). Try and get more comfontable and remember you can't lose. Either you have a date :slight_smile: or you were very brave and should be proud of yourself and it will be easier next time.

4. soundandfury

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    She's an out lesbian, but I'm still pretty closeted. I've never been in a relationship before, so I have no idea what to do or say.

5. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The lesson I learned when I was 13: no anxiety hurts as badly as regret for having done nothing. So (figuratively) sack up and ask her. :slight_smile: