1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Overthinking things

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by welshy92, Oct 14, 2013.

1. welshy92

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hey everyone,

i'd like some advice with regards to over thinking things. Basically, when I'm told something I look too deep into things, further than anyone else does and then stress myself out!

My bf and family tell me I do this and to chill out but its difficult.

Here is an example....

I play for a semi-professional sports team and according to our training timetable we have the forthcoming weekend off. So, as my bf lives 3 hours away I was thinking of going to his this weekend. However, it's been dropped on the team now that we have fitness testing which is organised by the governing body for 1 hour on the saturday. The coach has said that there is another testing day in Novemeber but is unsure of the date, and told me that he was not concerned about my fitness and that if i want to go away this weekend then do so. However, I am begining to wonder what the other coaches and players will think if i do not attend the fitness testing (even tho another player I know is going away that weekend and cannot make the testing and doesnt seem bothered).

And here's another example of where I looking into something too much.... I have planned to go to see a show with my bf in novemeber and I bet the next testing day will fall on the same day and the team has been told that if we do not attend one of the two testing days then we cannot play for the team.

I don't understand why i worry about what other people are thinking of me..... if the coach has said its not a biggy then why am I still unable to make a decision on whether to see my bf or not this weekend :frowning2:

Does anyone else overthink things?

How can I convince myself to go away as initally planned?

2. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You can convince yourself by seeing that you are not worrying about existing problems; you are creating problems in your mind and then worrying about them. Forget about silly extra variables like what people will think or expecting the next testing day to ruin your other date plans, because taking them into account clearly isn't helping.

[youtube]mACqcZZwG0k[/youtube]

3. Californiacoast

I was notorious for overthinking things in highschool and college. I think it was because I had two college professors for parents and they analyzed EVERYTHING. I naturally learned it from them. However, when I got in the corporate business world, I didn't have time to overthink. I learned to trust my instincts and just roll with it. I had to make decisions and trust them. It made me a much happier person.

Try choosing your gut instinct and then stick with it. Relax. Breathe. It all works out anyway!:thumbsup:

4. bingostring

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I think you are allowed to have a social diary..and skip the training.

The over thinking is something to watch out for though. If you find you are procrastinating it can get out of hand. Possibly a perfectionist trait where you want to please everyone all the time - regardless of it being an imperfect and very random world.

5. Hrantou

I'm famous for overthinking things. Its so bad that I lose sleep over it.

I've learned over the years that sometimes, you gotta just go with what feels right. Go with the gut. Over analyzing sometimes doesn't help anything (unless its math :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:)