1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is my fraternity brother bi-curious/gay and into me?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Miseducated, Oct 15, 2013.

1. Miseducated

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Ok so this is my first post to EC and frankly this situation is confusing me. I am a closeted bisexual college guy that's in a fraternity and am in a relationship that I haven't told anyone about. I feel sometimes like some of the guys know that I'm not straight but just don't say anything out of respect for my feelings which is fine with me but I've never really been confronted about it or denied it. Just recently I moved into the house next door to my fraternities chapter house with my fraternity brother "S" and I've been noticing some strange behavior with another fraternity brother of mine, "M".

“M” and I are pretty close and he comes over to hang out with my roommate and I, play videogames, smoke, etc. but ever since I moved in I’ve been getting the feeling that he is into me because of subtle things I noticed. I will say that I hope he is hitting on me because he’s really cute but I’m just not sure. For instance every time he comes over he opens my door without knocking. At first I thought it was because he lives at the frat house and is not used to respecting privacy, but I’ve noticed EVERYTIME he comes in he walks around to the side of my bed as if to see what I’m doing on my computer. This might seem sort of irrelevant but I think he is trying to “accidentally” burst in on me doing something like changing or masterbating. One time he came over and opened my door (without looking in) while I was changing and had my pants unbuttoned. I told him I was naked (I wasn’t) and he immediately walked in to look then turned around and walked out when he saw that I wasn’t.

Another time we were sitting on the couch playing video games (just the two of us) and every time I would lean back he would lean back as well as if he were trying to get closer to me. Then while he was leaning forward I leaned back and put my arm behind him on the upright part of the soft and he leaned back sort of forcing my arm to be around him. He then started to show me something on his phone and I noticed he was moving his upper body closer into mine (sort of like he was cuddling up) and it just seemed a litter closer than a straight guy would get (my roommate definitely wouldn’t get that close, nor would my other frat brothers). Also he was reaching over me to put something on the table and lingered while using my leg to support his arm which to me seemed like unnecessary contact (not that I mind).

I try to think if my other friends would do some of the things that he does but I just don’t think so. The things he does, at first glance seem innocent enough but I’m a very keen observer and feel like there could be something more behind it. They are subtle but I wouldn’t just assume this about him because he has given me absolutely no reason in the past to. I’ve known him for 3 years and have never questioned his sexuality (he even has a gf right now) but these subtle things seem out of the ordinary for him and it kind of seems like he’s trying to figure out if I am gay or get me to initiate something.

Other things have happened like he came over without a shirt on for some odd reason (no one ever does that really). This is kind of odd because he said he went home to change after class and grab his smoke, but didn’t bother to put a shirt on? I think (THINK) he was just trying to see if I was going to check him out (and I was lol). Also, our legs touch when we are sitting next to each other and he doesn’t move (even though we are the only ones on the couch), and sometimes he sort of moves his legs closer to make contact I’ve noticed. Also, a night after we had just left my house to go next door to the chapter house, we were outside hanging out with some of the guys, I’m sitting and he is standing behind me. He touches me on the shoulder or back just out of nowhere and then walks away. I don’t know, he’s not really touchy-feely with the other guys.
    I don’t know I could be over thinking it but I’ve never EVER felt like he was into me before.

I try to disregard the fact that I hope he IS actually into me and we can get nasty over at my place but I definitely don’t want to ask him because that could be REALLY bad. I don’t know some of these things are situational and maybe you have to experience it to get a better understanding of the subtleties he displays but from what I’ve described, do you think that he could maybe be bi-curious? Trying to find out if I’m gay? I’d appreciate some opinions.

2. ryanalexander61

Hey man! I was in a fraternity and came to be in a similar situation with a fraternity brother so I hope I can be of help.

So you readily admitted you are hoping that he may be coming on to/hitting you. Therefore, you are going to be looking to subconsciously interpret his actions as such, whether you are aware of the fact that you are doing this or not which it seems you are aware. You are hoping that something as innocent as some body contact or touching means more.

Now going off of what you have mentioned these signals could be completely innocent or may mean something more. As I said, you are hoping that they are more so your interpretation of him coming over without a shirt on is that he was hoping you were going to check him out, but it could easily be his laziness. You just have to be aware that you are very much hoping he is into you, and to not over analyze innocent things. He may be just an easy going guy so the touching on the couch may just mean nothing to him.

If I were you, and having gone through something very similar this is how I would go about it. You don't want to exist in a zone of uncertainty, and you DO NOT want to get involved emotionally with someone who is not ready to open up about their sexuality. This happened to me, and it sucked (big time). I experienced a lot of the similar touching stuff, became emotionally attached and then even more overt sexual things happen. Needless to say, my friend was not ready to talk about anything and it really left me hurting. So I know a lot of people may say to just let things be and see where things go, but there is the potential that un-reciprocated feelings could grow and you could be very hurt.

So what can you actively do? Well, I understand that being in a fraternity likely means coming out is not an option so I wouldn't even advise that. I would have never done that either. You could try to push the envelope of the touching stuff when you guys are drunk, but like I said I did this and it was received well, so it caused my feelings to grow. When it reached a critical point and I really fell for him, the fact that he wasn't ready to talk about it really hurt me and I eventually had to go through a period of ~two years interpreting every one of his little actions to try to determine if he was gay. It.sucked.a.lot.

If I could go back and do it over, I would have kept my emotional distance and downplayed his actions. I would not have pushed the envelope, not constantly searched to answer a question he may not have answered himself yet.

Like I said, a lot of people on here would say just see where things go and enjoy it. Try to push the envelope. Well I did that, and got very very hurt so I would caution anyone from doing that. I've realized putting any effort into pursuing anything with another guy is going to be a bad idea, unless the person is out to you.

---------- Post added 16th Oct 2013 at 06:34 AM ----------

Also check out this thread:

http://emptyclosets.com/forum/family-friends-relationships/103087-love-best-friend-hes-moving.html

3. whatsgoinon

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Dude ask him to bro out. If he says yes your good. Simple question simple answer tons of fun.

4. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well, let me ask. Let's say he IS bi. And is interested in wanting to do something. Then what?

Lex

5. Miseducated

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    RyanAlexander61 it is difficult to come out when you are in a frat and I have no intentions of "warning" anyone about my sexuality. I've known this guy for 3 years and I think he is going through a lot of shit right now in his personal life. We were really close and he even told me a few days ago that I'm the reason he got through pledge season so he could just be looking for some support with his personal issues.

Whatsgoinon LOL i'm not gonna ask him to bro out. I don't want that (if you mean dating) and I don't think he would either. I just kind of want to get nasty with him lol!

Lexington If he is bi/gay and wants to do something then I will definitely be game. Maybe he can come over here, we drink a little bit, and get nasty (i like using that word). He has a beautiful, round a** even girls and straight guys comment on it and he's got a BIG p*nis. What more could ya want!

6. whatsgoinon

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Urban dictionary bro out. Farthest thing from dating

---------- Post added 16th Oct 2013 at 09:45 PM ----------

Or ask him for a bro job. Keep it casual. What happens between bros stays between bros

7. confused1234

Sorry, but nothing he did in any way indicates that he's gay. You're seeing things that aren't there. I would just forget about it.

8. awesomeyodais

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Conspiracy theory warning...

What's your fraternity's view or policy on gay or bi members? Any chance he's been tasked with getting you to admit your non-straightness? How do you see that playing out?

9. Jonamo

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    How close are you to your pledge brothers?

I'll give you a risky option that I used for a situation very similar to this. If there's one you're close to and you're close enough with then try to at least bring him into the situation and see what they see. Like someone said above, you are emotionally invested in this situation so another set of unbiased eyes could help.

Personally, I told my closest pledge bro (my pledge class is really close) and he helped me watch to see if I was just seeing things. I don't know what your house is like, but most likely there is at least someone who could be helpful and trust what you say.