1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Jobs and References

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by drwinchester, Oct 17, 2013.

1. drwinchester

drwinchester Guest

At the moment, as businesses hunt for seasonal workers, I'm working on applying to whatever jobs I can get my hands on. I have no prior work experience, no volunteering. Which puts me at a disadvantage, especially since I don't have any references. Homeschooled as well. I've heard of people who are able to list teachers and professors as references but certainly can't list my mother as reference, can I? :lol:

Do I need to have references and if not, does it put me at a serious disadvantage? Thanks.

2. MrAllMonday

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    You need references for most jobs. You cannot list your friends/family members as reference.

What you can do is do some sort of training course relevant to the field you want a job in. Then after you complete that course you can ask your instructor if he or she can give you a reference.

I know some people got a job by doing a work trial placement. This basically involves working for free for approximately a week without getting paid. If you are good at the job you will be hired. Even if you don't get hired you can put this down as some sort of work experience.

If I was you I would get any job that your capable of doing. Any experience is better than nothing. Try volunteering if it is too hard to get a job...

3. penguin machine

Start somewhere like fast food that doesn't require experience. Something is better than nothing. Character references are really more of a post-secondary thing, so don't worry about them. A resume should end with the words "references available on request" if they're not listed as part of it. If you don't have any, leave them out. You're 18, school is your background, include some skills you have that might be useful in the place, mention some interests that show you're active and committed, and just be honest. Those kind of places don't have high requirements, that's why they're entry level. Keep applying too. Lots of applications, even with a sparse resume, will be a better bet. Try some volunteering too, visit an old-folks home or a lodge, community events or anyhing where some free labour would be appreciated. You not only get experience to add to a resume, but you get contacts and references you can use. Talk to people, they will let you know where work is available.

4. drwinchester

drwinchester Guest

I'll look into it. But would you still need references for entry level part-time sales and service positions? That's among what I'm starting with. Wouldn't think you'd need courses to get into that but I've been wrong before...

Penguin: Yeah, entry level's precisely what I'm going for. I need work experience, as I've never been employed and am still in school. Also may have college work opportunities but won't know of it until my financial aid processes and can't count on having opportunities still available by the time it does finally process.

#4 drwinchester, Oct 17, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 17, 2013
  5. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Walmart is the traditional "employer of last resort." Basically, if you have a pulse, and aren't a murderer, they'll hire you. They really don't seem to care about previous experience.

Put in an application and then call the following day to follow up on it. If they ask for references, put down an adult friend or someone. They do the most cursory of reference checks, and most of their jobs aren't rocket science.

Fast food is also good as a first job choice, but I honestly think Walmart is probably even easier for getting your foot in the door.

6. drwinchester

drwinchester Guest

Well, I'll honestly take anywhere that pays. So I just may need to consider it. :\ My state protects against gender identity but I've heard Walmart isn't so hot when it comes to LGBT- would I have anything to worry about as a transman?

7. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I know that in a local store here in California where a friend works, they have a manager who is a trans woman, and at least a couple of trans employees. At one point, someone was making derogatory remarks about one of the trans employees, and as soon as it was reported, the manager brought in the offending employee and gave him a warning, and then brought in the affected employee to make sure he did not feel unsafe.

Of course, your mileage may vary, but in general, Walmart is supposed to be pretty good about nondiscrimination, if for no other reason than to avoid getting sued.

8. photoguy93

I'd consider doing a relevant volunteer job. Like, if you'd eventually want to work at a library, go volunteer there. Also, look at who you know and who your parents know. I got. Y first job because a family friend recommended it to me.

9. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Seconded. Plus, given that Oregon has laws that protect the rights of LGBT in the workplace (if I understand it correctly), they can not discriminate against you. And if they do, you have legal recourse.

Given that you have no work experience, and are lacking references, I would suggest that you also start looking into volunteer opportunities. Volunteering is a great way to get experience, skills that you can use in different jobs, and references. To get a reference, you don't even need to volunteer for very long with an organization.

Most places, won't be too keen on calling a family member for a reference. So it would be good to have someone on your reference list that can speak to your skills, character, and 'on the job performance.'

If you do get an invitation for an interview, and should they ask you any questions that try to get at your gender identity, you can always say: "I don't see how the question is relevant to the position. Could you elaborate on the question."

10. MrAllMonday

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I realised we live in different countries. Things are different in the UK. Almost all jobs require references, even entry level positions. In the UK there are courses for almost all sectors such as customer service, cleaning services, bricklaying and so on.

Good luck finding a job.

11. drwinchester

drwinchester Guest

Thanks. Nah, but it's similiar here. Haven't heard of too many people who were able to find employment without references. I'm looking into people who may be able to work as references, since considering I've got no prior employment I could use any help I can get. Family friends and anyone involved with groups I'm in (LGBT support group, etc) should work out?

-

Yeah, I figure being as big a corporation as Walmart is, being against LGBT wouldn't be conductive to their image. So it's good to hear my gender won't be an issue. Wasn't my biggest concern to be honest (though I'm still not sure whether to work openly or not) but always one to look out for.

12. Techno Kid

What about doing some odd jobs for people who live near you? That's what I've been doing for a few years...have not been very successful...but it does give me some spending cash and good references. :slight_smile:

13. drwinchester

drwinchester Guest

I don't have many neighbors, living in a rural area, but a lot of my neighbors operate ranches and farms so I'm sure if anything, something's got to be available. Didn't really consider that but it's worth checking out.