1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Whats your opinion??

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by LadyLuck, Oct 18, 2013.

1. LadyLuck

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Ok... so I was at work today, and one of my customers was complaining about what kids these days know about at such a young age. Her daughter is 9 and she was upset that she knew what plant food was. Which I can kinda understand... but... then she was complaining about that she knew what gay is... it made me feel really uncomfortable... personally... I don't see what is wrong with that... just wondering what the general opinion is? Is there an age that is too young to know what gay is??? :confused:

2. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    There is no age too young to know that love is love. Knowing what homosexuality is doesn't have to include the "sexuality" part if they're too young for that. You can just say that some boys like other boys/some girls like other girls, and leave it at that.

And also... plant food? Why shouldn't a kid know that plants need nutrients? People and their anti-intellectual horse poopoo.

3. LadyLuck

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hahahaha plant food as in the drug haha!

4. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Is that a UK thing? I've heard of lots of drugs, but never that one.

5. justjade

This lady sounds kind of whacked out to me. Kids have the right to know stuff. I mean yeah, there are some things that kids don't need to know until they're older, but what's the deal with plant food? That shouldn't even be an issue, I don't think. And as for kids knowing what being gay is, I think it's great if they know young. However, with that, I think they should also be taught to accept other people and their beliefs/lifestyles. Kids don't need to be raised to be bigots.

6. SilentCreatures

I think it's a positive. I would not want my child to be sheltered for too long especially with things such as plant food.

What I am concerned about is the easy access to sex and violence for youth.

A school once was teaching sex education to 11 and 12 year olds. The teachers left the room with more new information than the children. All of them had seen everything and more, due to the internet and mobile phones. The things they knew most about was associated with violent sex, bondage, bestiality. The terminology they used the teachers had never heard of before. That kind of scares me. It can make children numb to what they have seen as well as seeing it as ok and normal.

7. angel626

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think it's better for kids to start learning at a younger age about acceptance and that love is love regardless of gender. My younger niece is the same age as the little girl and she openly stated that lesbians were disgusting. I tried to explain to her that it was not and I even told her that I was a lesbian too. She just laughed at me and called me disgusting; so yeah they need to learn ASAP!