1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I've had mood swings ever since I found out I liked guys...

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by PrinceShiro, Oct 19, 2013.

1. PrinceShiro

PrinceShiro Guest

After I figured myself out, and a little bit before, I've been going through these phases that last a few days where I get all moody and irritable...Can someone help me out? Are they related?

2. MrAllMonday

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
  3. Avila

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Hey, I experienced the same thing, and it is still going on a few months later. For me, those things are very related since it's a very scary time. Hang in there and hopefully you can find some support and help here at EC.

4. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi, and welcome.

Yes, the mood swings you're feeling are a completely normal part of the coming out process. In processing any loss (in this case, loss of your identity as "straight") there are 5 stages we go through: denial-anger-bargaining-grief-acceptance. The stages aren't completely linear and so it's common to go back and forth between them, as your conscious and unconscious process and accept what's happening.

Talking about what you're feeling is the best way you can address it and help to get the feelings under control, and posting here to talk about it is a great first step. I'd encourage you to stick around.

5. tommyj

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I feel the same way. I haven't come out, yet. I'm just accepting it for myself and sometimes I'm feeling on top of the world and other times, I'm a deep depression and I don't want to get out of bed. There are also many stages in between. I'm not sure how to help except to say that you're not along and as other people have said that it's a normal part of the coming out process.

Keep talking it out on here and any other supportive friends you may have.