1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Get drunk, confront the world.

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Joey4, Oct 19, 2013.

1. Joey4

Anytime I drink, I'm ready to be done with being in the closet and get this whole thing over with. I sober up and realize what a huge mistake it would've been. When does one self meet the other?

2. Skov

I would say that coming out drunk is generally not a great idea. It's nice to have some liquid confidence, but I think it works out better if all parties involved are sober

3. palimpsest

Joey4, that is one of the best put questions I've seen all day. When does one self meet the other? It seems like I've been asking myself that question nearly constantly for the last four months. When do I get to be a unified whole?

Don't know that I have your answer. For me, right now tonight, I crossed some threshold between last night and tonight, and I'm nearly there. One last major loose screw to work out for myself before I start a massive campaign to introduce myself to the world at large.

Which is probably the only advice I can give you. You have to be ready. Whatever that means to you, whatever you've got to face first. Something to let go. Prepare your courage. Plan the talk and the strategy. One self meets the other self when there is really only one left. Once you are so OK with you, that that is the only one left. He sounds like he's ready in principle, you've just got to figure out what is really standing in his way. Then, then perhaps, you can be that unified whole.

4. Sully

Okay, I'll be honest, coming out drunk is friggen great! IME it's always been fine. And look,you're 27 so most likely independent. What's the worry if you and a few good friends are drunk and you blurt it out?

5. confused1234

I came out to 12 people before I ever did it sober, and I don't think there is anything inherently wrong with coming out while drunk.

To answer your question, I think your drunk self meets your sober self when the weight of your secret becomes to much to bear. At that point, it doesn't matter whether you're drunk or sober, you just have to get it off your chest. Either that, or when you realize that being honest with people will make you happier in the long run.

6. Daniel777

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    When I first really started trying to come out before I chickened out wanted to do the same thing I got drunk the first night and didn't end up telling hardly anyone and then I tried to lie to myself about who I am and now I think back and wish I had took that first major leap that one that's make or break. now I am having a horrible time trying to fix that mistake which isn't easy when you have a child. but I hope that when we give up wanting to be someone were not that our sober and drunkinselfs unite.

7. Joey4

I appreciate everyone's feedback, even reading about some hardships is helpful to my situation.

8. PerryRob2008

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I recently came out to my friend while I was drunk at a bar. She has been a good friend for almost ten years and I never felt comfortable about coming out to her in the past but I finally hit my breaking point and I was in a place where I knew I needed her support. It was nerve-racking but it was probably the best thing I have ever done.

9. srslywtf

Im the same age, came out recently,... it took being quite drunk to do the first one. It was a poorly executed move, but it got the ball rolling and confirmed in my mind that coming out was the right thing. After that things didnt seem so bad.

10. biggayguy

My guy friend from the GSA at college kissed me when we were both very drunk. It was a sloppy drunk kiss. He got my nose. I got his chin. It was embarrassing the next time we saw each other. Yet, at the same time it's a good memory. I had a massive crush on him.