1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Subject Choice: History vs Science

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by lukeluvznicki13, Oct 20, 2013.

1. lukeluvznicki13

Hi guys :slight_smile:
    So it has come to that time in my high school career where I have to choose my subjects.
    What exactly happens is that I have to pick a subject from each group (there are 3 groups, the other subjects I take are compulsory).
    For my 2nd group, I have to pick between History and Science. I'm stuck on certain points and I was wondering if I could have some advice and thoughts on what I should do.
    Here is basically what I've done to try see which one would be better to take:

History:
    -my favourite subject
    -get A's for it
    -I am good at writing essays and discussions

Science:
    -quite a confusing subject
    -get A's for it
    -have more job opportunities and university degree offers.

2. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's unfortunate that you have to choose!

I love both subjects, but chose science as it did lead to the degree and jobs, etc. I picked up history on my own over the years but a formal training in it would have been nice.

In this competitive world, if you have A's in science, that is not a bad thing. Scientific writing does need better writers and consequently better thinking to sift through all that "confusion".

The Science degree does seem to give you more options, and you are young enough to do both, eventually!

3. Emulator

The dilemma :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: Well, I have to choose subjects too. It's scheduled tomorrow, actually.
    The general advice is to pick which one you are most interested in, and you think you will enjoy. Because with passion comes the strive to learn it, and find a further field of study concerning it. Or if you enjoy both/can't decide at all, go with one you think you will like better, even if it is preferred only to a small degree.
    And I hope you make the right choice :slight_smile:

4. bingostring

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    its good to follow a path you have a genuine interest in, and enjoy.
    Have you thought yet about what university or future career path you might take ? - that might influence what subject to choose

5. lukeluvznicki13

That's true thanks :slight_smile:

---------- Post added 20th Oct 2013 at 04:31 PM ----------

I'm interested in law/politics/journalism. So I do think History would be better
    but then again, I don't wanna cut out career paths in case I change my mind :s.

6. Amerigo

i think history offers just as many career options as any science - remember, history is a social science and a thought of as a traditional core subject :slight_smile:

from experience, choose a subject you have the biggest interest in, like those above have stated, it means you'll be extra motivated to achieve the best grades and make the most out of the experience. good luck!

7. apostrophied

I'd say go for science. You're in high school, it's just a few years, it's not like your doing your bachelor's degree lol. You can always revert to social science-y fields later in your educational career, right (like in university)? At least that's how it is in my neck of the woods.

The reason why I think you should pick science is that it is typically easy to go from having studied science to switching to social science. The opposite is definitely not true at all. Going from social science to science takes time and a generous amount of effort and determination. Why not save yourself the trouble? Also, there are a lot of well-paying jobs in the scientific fields (pharmacy, engineering, medicine, etc). You may not be interested in these at this point in your life, but who knows about the future? Don't write off these fields, you never know.

*Disclaimer: check with your school if the science-to-social science switch is easy. It may be different for your country.

8. MrAllMonday

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Choose a subject which you are good at and most interested in. Don't choose a subject you will end up disliking.