1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How can I stop being so hard and negative on myself?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Beware Of You, Oct 20, 2013.

1. Beware Of You

When I was younger I once attempted suicide over my sexuality, and obviously it has taken me time to get over the depression. Anyway I have come out of the closet, started dating,joined my local LGBT group, gone to pride etc. One thing I can't get rid of is my negativity, I always think the worst is going to happen when it never does, I loose sleep over it sometimes.

Is there anything I can do apart from being more positive in life

2. cdk

cdk

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Sorry to hear about your rough past, I understand completely about thinking negatively.

What I tend to do is once a negative thought starts in my head is to think what is the possibility of this really happening? Have low expectations or none at all. Also another important thing is to realise that worrying about all these possible scenarios is useless. I tend to realise that I have made it such a big deal in my own head that I can't actually enjoy the present. These days, I still have negative thoughts, but I tend to let it go, literally just don't think too much about it.

Another good tip if you aren't doing so already is see a counsellor especially for CBT - Cognitive Behavioural Therapy, it's about re-training your brain to think positively which I think you will benefit greatly from.

Hope this helps! Don't let the demons win and take over your life.

3. mvjp

as cdk said CBT may help you though it didnt work for me i am on sertraline and lithium am slowly accepting myself trying to change what i cant accept and keeping busy - and i am now 6 months free of psych hospital Woop you could also see a psychologist and / or go to mental health support groups

good luck x

4. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    In the main page, this thread is listed as "How can I stop being so hard..." I thought it was going to be something completely different. :slight_smile:

Negativity isn't really something you can magically or quickly overcome. Or presumably you would've figured it out by now. Whenever I feel things are going to hell in a handbasket, I try to remember:

1. all the times I thought things were going to get much worse...and they didn't.
    2. that even when things got worse, I was always able to handle things.

Surrounding yourself with more people helps too. If they're endlessly negative, that's probably not going to be too helpful. They don't have to be permanently chipper - just no heavy gloom-and-doom types. :slight_smile:

Lex